Sign in to follow this  
JOEHADENUF~MOH~

T&l problems

Hi, I have a problem with direct 3d hardware T&L  on resistance...

currently I am running it on an ATI RADEON 7200 32 MB (PCI) card

and yes I have attempted to balance and sacrifice quality for performance, I have played around with object LOD, view distance, and visional quality,  

The problem is whenever I have more than one object in any island using T&L, Units and objects become violently glitchey . they become transparent  in some polygons  and the units  seem to disintegrate.  this doesn't happen on normal Direct 3d but I like water and lighting effects using T&L.    is there any way to get rid of these glitches without having to go back to Direct 3d?  I know my graphics card handicaps me but it would but I would greatly appreciate any help or advise....

All Radeon graphics cards have these problems with OFP, you just have to switch to regular D3D and wait for a patch confused.gif

That's a general problem with the Radeon drivers, and I'm not sure if the latest drivers address this or if there is a fix for it using specific driver settings.

Radeon cards are known to have similar problems with games such as Unreal Tournament, Tribes, and Max Payne.

@ Mister Frag

Thats NOT a general problem with the Radeon drivers!

Thats a problem with BI and Resistance!

All other games with hardware T&L are working fine!

@ Bohemia Interactive

When will you fix this Problem?

Beretta,

There are lots of documented instances of the drivers for the Radeon cards causing flicker and other problems, even with recent releases such as Battlefield 1942. Another listing of issues can be found on ATI's own Game Issues page.

Mister Frag,

my Radeon 8500 works fine with the latest driver. I never had any problems with my games!

- Unreal Turnament 2003: no problems

- Battlefield 1943: no problems

- Medal of Honor: no problems

- Amarican Army: no problems

- Ghost Recon: no problems

- Max Payne: no problems

- Commanche 4: no problems

- Aquanox: no problems

- Mafia: no problems

- Hitman 2: no problems

- GTA 3: no problems

- SOF II: no problems

- Operation Flashpoint: no problems

- Operation Flashpoint Resistance: flashing textures with hardware T&L

Most problems aren't Radeon problems.

Thats are problems with the computersystems of the users!

I'm glad you aren't having any problems with any of the other games you listed.

However, that doesn't change the fact that ATI acknowledges that there are problems such as texture flickering and disappearing objects with their products.

The fact is:

The latest ATI-driver is very good, but Resistance is optimized for nVidia-cards!

ok, i can see that, is there any way to have an almost balenced quality and preformance in D3d? im messing w/ it now and iv gotten a little progress but if there is an over all setting or settings that i could use in the prefs that would help me, it would be great

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (beretta @ Oct. 06 2002,08:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The fact is:

The latest ATI-driver is very good, but Resistance is optimized for nVidia-cards!<span id='postcolor'>

Says who?

I think so, because Resistance is the only game who didn't work with hardware T&L and Radeon-cards!

beretta if you're going to post accusatorial statements please back them up with fact, or don't post them at all smile.gif

Guest BratZ

OMG.. Berreta get you stuff straight,everyone in the computer world knows ATI has been buggy for 10 years and still counting!

OFPr is optimized for Nvidia? Now you are confusing Americas Army with OFP because that is the game that is exactly that.

If Ofpr is optimized for nvidia why does it work so well on my laptop with a Savage 4 video card?

Its ATI has the problem with T&L and its known by everyone but you.

Let ATI work it out

Guest BratZ

Sorry to spat out and didnt help you with your problem,but someone already stated to use D3d for now and maybe you can ask other ATI owners what to do?

I have had problems with the Radeon cards in quite a few Games, (glitches / flashes in graphics, random freezes, crashes etc). In fact for me I never got resistance running with the 8500 128mb card (cannot memory map problem). I gave up in the end and went back to a GF card.

Your 32mb PCI card probably is very limited for OFP, but will try and give you a few ideas.

With a 32mb Video card it is probably bets to turn the textures down low, or in the preferences set the texture sizes under advanced to (64x64).

You never mentioned what OS you are running, but you should also make sure all the patches and fixes are up to date as well as drivers (sound, MB, video etc).

In other games I managed to get around a lot of video problems by either going back to an earlier ATI driver ( ATI even recommend using the non Catalyst drivers to fix a lot of graphics issues with some games), or finding a leaked or tweaked version of the drivers.

I then usually use the rage3d tweak program to change the registry settings for the card. And play around with the settings. (Usually disabling the HyperZ and a few of the other ATI only settings sometimes fixes the problems). I Had to use this method with SOFII, AvP2, T2 and a few other games. Some games I never got working properly or perfectly.

Best website I found for ATI video card information and help is at .http://www.rage3d.com/. There you will a lot of information of possible workarounds for lots of problems encountered with some of the ATI cards.

The other thing to do is wait till the patch is released, it may help the issue if the problem is to do with Resistance.

Also if you search this troubleshooting forum, you will find quite a few other posts about the similar problems. You may even find information on how others managed to work around the problem.

This problem was also present in the multiplayer beta test. But easiest work around was to just disable HW T&L.

It also seems that this problem does not effect everyone with radeon cards, so maybe it is just a combination of hardware / software that is causing it.