Sign in to follow this  
lukeprtr

How to make a section of terrain flat?

I've taken real life island from a topography website and imported it into L3DT and moved it over to Terrain Builder. So far I have done my mask.png along with layers.cfg, my sat image, and a normals image. I have also finished my roads. So now I am moving into creating towns and citys. The only problem is where I want to make my city is a steep hill and the roads are moving along on hills after hills... and so on. And sometimes the roads go on the side of the hills so it looks funky. How would I make a flat area within Terrain Builder to solve my issues? I would also like to point out I used CAPTNCAPS video tutorials for terrain creation.

Thanks -Luke

You could use a FLAT tool in TB, Hold Left shift and press either Left mouse to lower or Right mouse to increase, other then that i can't say what to use

How would I make a larger area flat such as a airfield or City? Using buldozers brushing tool makes a stair case effect when I am working on larger areas. Is it possible to make a polygon and say the area inside to be flat?

If you have L3DT, you can go into the "3D" mode - allowing you to edit the terrain with a more advanced brush tool. You can set height, flatten and much more. I would recommend you do this first and make smaller edits in TB.

For example, I am lowering my sea floor In L3DT, as it would be impractical to do in TB. I will then export my edited height map as an ASCII. Easy :)

I have L3DT. But will I be able to edit my terrain file even though I have placed trees, roads and buildings and have used the flattening brush in terrain builder? Do I just take my .xyz terrain file and import it back into L3DT? Also what about my terrain normals?

I have L3DT. But will I be able to edit my terrain file even though I have placed trees, roads and buildings and have used the flattening brush in terrain builder? Do I just take my .xyz terrain file and import it back into L3DT? Also what about my terrain normals?

Yep - the trick is to export your heightmap from terrainbuilder as an .xyz, import that into L3DT, make your changes, create a new normals map, and export the new hightmap and normals map.

Replace the old heightmap and normals map in your source folder with the new versions (keep the old ones though, just in case!), then in TB, refresh both the heightmap and normalsmap from source, rebuild the terrain, re-process the mask, normal and sat maps, save and export your new wrp and that should do you.

You can repeat this as often as you like to continually tweak and update your heightmap and normals.