Sign in to follow this  
PlummerHD

Issues With Roads

I'm to the point in the map making process where it is time to put in roads, but there is a reoccurring issue that I have spent a few hours searching for a resolution and continue to come up empty handed! While on terrain builder I've got my series of main roads around my island mapped out with the polylines. I load up bulldozer and I can never seem to get my roads to match up correctly. Oddly enough I attempt to correct them in the TB, re-export them, start up Bulldozer and still I can never get them to match up. Does anyone have any advice they could throw my way? I've read about people using different programs than TB to handle the roads, should I do the same? If so what alternative programs are there? Thanks in advance!

~Fixed

Edited by PlummerHD

I'm to the point in the map making process where it is time to put in roads, but there is a reoccurring issue that I have spent a few hours searching for a resolution and continue to come up empty handed! While on terrain builder I've got my series of main roads around my island mapped out with the polylines. I load up bulldozer and I can never seem to get my roads to match up correctly. Oddly enough I attempt to correct them in the TB, re-export them, start up Bulldozer and still I can never get them to match up. Does anyone have any advice they could throw my way? I've read about people using different programs than TB to handle the roads, should I do the same? If so what alternative programs are there? Thanks in advance!

What do you mean by get them to match up correctly? Can you show us a picture? Do you have your satellite imagery visible when you are drawing the lines in TB?

Yes, I have satellite imagery visible when I am drawing the lines.

Here is an example of a road I have drawn in TB and what it ends up looking like in Bulldozer.

Can you show me what it looks like in TB? How does it look different?

In that link there is also a picture of what it looks like in TB. Select first image and it should have the picture from TB.

Oh sorry I didn't see that. It looks like you just need to have the end of the shape meet the road and not overlap it. Apparently it adds a piece at the end so if you move it back so the end of the shape line doesn't overlap then you should have what you want.

I've seen this a few times myself. Its just a matter of pulling the end of each road forward or back to make it sit right when you see it in BD. Bit of an pain in the proverbial, but thats what we have to deal with currently.

Sometimes I find that I have to literally drag the end road (a) over the far edge of the adjoining road(b), to where the beginning and end of the curve on road(a) sits on the edge of road(b). if you get that??

I am using the snap tool to end roads exactly in the center of the intersection.

http://i.imgur.com/aJMfhS3.png?1 (570 kB)

If the crossing one does not have a point to snap to, then I create one right-clicking it and choosing "Add point here"; you can now drag the end point of your intersecting road and it will snap right on the point you just created and in the right place. This may solve your issue or not; I do not have that much of experience to tell you its a must to do, but so far I took it like one of my best practice and never had problems of roads going long.

I am using the snap tool to end roads exactly in the center of the intersection.

http://i.imgur.com/aJMfhS3.png?1 (570 kB)

If the crossing one does not have a point to snap to, then I create one right-clicking it and choosing "Add point here"; you can now drag the end point of your intersecting road and it will snap right on the point you just created and in the right place. This may solve your issue or not; I do not have that much of experience to tell you its a must to do, but so far I took it like one of my best practice and never had problems of roads going long.

This is Absolutely Correct Procedure!!

Whenever I'm clicking along a main road, for instance, and I get to a spot where a side road branches off, I always try to remember to make sure I place a vertex right on the T or X junction, so there's something there to snap side-roads to later...

As tgm0 says - if you've forgotten to do that - you can just add one!, or if the one you placed is a little out of place - remember you can reposition vertices too, so you have a perfectly positioned "snaptarget" for the ends of your side roads..

In combination with the "ORDER" parameter in your roads shapefile .dbf, you should be able to produce relatively neat junctions consistently...

B

This is Absolutely Correct Procedure!!

Whenever I'm clicking along a main road, for instance, and I get to a spot where a side road branches off, I always try to remember to make sure I place a vertex right on the T or X junction, so there's something there to snap side-roads to later...

As tgm0 says - if you've forgotten to do that - you can just add one!, or if the one you placed is a little out of place - remember you can reposition vertices too, so you have a perfectly positioned "snaptarget" for the ends of your side roads..

In combination with the "ORDER" parameter in your roads shapefile .dbf, you should be able to produce relatively neat junctions consistently...

B

i have a quick question... what about roundabouts?