Sign in to follow this  
nyles

Parachutes

I was wondering if there will be something done about the way parachutes are displayed in OFP regarding OFP2. I would really like to see parachutes work more like the real ones.

Namely, I would like to have the following issues adressed:

-Parachutes should be something like an item that has to be issued to be able to used. It's hard to imagine that a shot down huey will have its passengers bail off using parachutes in Nam scenario. For me this would really spoil the atmosphere.

-Helicopter pilots should not have parachutes by default, only Plane pilots.

-Chutes should take much longer to deploy resulting in a higher height required when jump off, not just around 55m. Soemthing like 200m-300m sounds more like it.

-Parachutes should not simply vanish when touching the ground, but should take a few seconds to wrap them off. Right now it's touch and go, resulting in paratroopers jumping directly into combat and being combat ready. America's Army has done a great job there, resulting in a very real para-feeling.

-Destroyed/Killed Paratroops should not smoke like vehicles.

-There should be something like dropable vehicles, ammo crates or dropable additional wargear shipping with OFP2 by default.

-Troops equipt with parachutes should be clumsey when walking around before the jump.

I agree with you and square chute would be nice addition wink.gif

Also, they shouldn't be invulnerable. You should be able to kill the actual person in the chute by shooting at their body, and you should be able to destroy the parachute,(then the poor guy falls to his death)after you hit the canopy enough. Also they should probably be stearable, atleast to some extent.

I't would be really cool i've you can steer your parachute or something...para.jpg

Quote[/b] ]I't would be really cool i've you can steer your parachute

You don't get much direction from military chutes. YOu aren't able to steer more than a little bit by forcing the straps around because they want to keep the squads together.

Okay, i do not wear a parachute when i fly!

Helicopter pilots are not given parachutes because you are not hig enough, you would get chopped up and they wnat you to salvage as much of the helicopter as possible by autorotating.

Allowing AI pilots to autorotate would be useful, also being in a helicopter and having to ride it down where you might die or might not, become injured, get captured etc adds more depth than just helicopters are deathtraps and you can only survive by flying very high so only shilkas and strela guys can get you!

The whole helicopter system in OFP is too simplistic and very unrealistic. I don't know about American pilots but over the enemy we really yank the bastards around at high speeds, flare heavily and stay on the ground as little as possiblel. I am dismayed when the AI just sits there after you have unloaded and you have the urge to chuck a handgrenade in the cockpit.

Yeah chopper drills are a big pain in the ass.

They take too long on the approach and then hover around (making them a big target for RPG guys). They should be straight down and then off.

Another thing...Pilots with M4s?rock.gif? shouldnt they have Beretta's or summot?

Back to parachutes:

you should be able to get caught up in trees or at least have a more realistic landing (maybe a thud with a groan, rather than a yippee "my parachute has vaporised") Parachutes should be regarded as vehicles and once they hit the ground they could stay there unless you click 'collect parachute' or summot. This way if you see loads of parachutes on the floor you'll realise that the enemy have just dropped a stick of men in the area! tounge_o.gif