Sign in to follow this  
J. Rainey

How to make custom textures?

I'm working on a vest, and I want to do my own textures, but I have no clue how. I need a complete guide, how to get the template of my vest into Gimp/PS, how to actually texture this, everything. I know this sounds like a lot, but I want to be able to do everything for this, so please help me out a bit.

Texturing is truely an art. Every artist has their own "workflow". My advice is spend some time on sites like youtube, etc. There are probably thousands of basic to advanced tutorials, plus you can see various styles and tricks of the trade. Learn the basics and start small, and i cannot stress enough to learn everything you can about the tools (programs) you use. You wont be a pro overnight, so be patient and practice.

I've used Gimp before, so I know how to use it. But I've tried Youtube and there are 0 tutorials for texturing Arma 3. Atleast I can't find any.

3d model texturing isnt arma specific per say, only the last stages when compiling for ingame. Uv mapping/texturing uses common workflows throughout. So dont worry about the "arma 3" aspect until you have diffuse, spec, and normals ready

I've used Gimp before, so I know how to use it. But I've tried Youtube and there are 0 tutorials for texturing Arma 3. Atleast I can't find any.

There are:

I think I remember watching that, that doesn't show how to get the template of MY vest, only for the things already in arma.

Yeah, I'm using 3ds, I just need to know how to make the template, how to actually texture it, everything else. I really wanna become independent and do everything myself.

There's plenty of tutorials on 3-d modeling from start to finish so I suggest you hit Google and look for them, they're really not hard to find :) The more you search for them, the more relevant your search results will become because of Google's algorithms. The tutorials will show you how to build a model, which you can skip obviously, unwrap it, export it to an image (your template), import it into Photoshop and do stuff to it there, then put it back on the model and drool over it :P

This one shows basic UV unwrapping in 3DS and then the editing in PS:

You probably need better unwrapping so maybe look for some tutorials on marking seams for unwrapping.