Sign in to follow this  
Falcon76

Noob question about character creation

Hi there,

Here is the thing, I purchased arma and dowloaded the special forces mod I wanted for gear and weapons. I learned how to install it after a few punchs but now I see it here, I can manage it through "Configure" and all. I created my profile (face, name) but I want to know how to use a loadout in a multiplayer game... That means, when I log in a server, I want to start with the costume selection and weapons I made in that loadout. How do I do that?]

Thanks!

You can't start with a custom loadout on servers. There are ammobox settings in VAS and Arsenal that let you save a loadout if the server allows it and some servers have persistant loadout over database but thats it.

You can't start with a custom loadout on servers. There are ammobox settings in VAS and Arsenal that let you save a loadout if the server allows it and some servers have persistant loadout over database but thats it.

Please, how can I do that? Step by step in order to try and see if the servers allow such weapons/gear.

Please, how can I do that? Step by step in order to try and see if the servers allow such weapons/gear.

If they allow it, its part of the mission (i.e. it gives you the opportunity at the start of the mission). This isn't like COD or BF where every 'round' allows you to select your kit at the start of the mission. Some missions allow that, other missions are specifically designed so you can only use certain equipment, its as simple as that.

Even if a server/mission allows you to select your custom loadout, if the server isn't running the same "special forces mod" you are, you wont be able to use it anyway.

If they allow it, its part of the mission (i.e. it gives you the opportunity at the start of the mission). This isn't like COD or BF where every 'round' allows you to select your kit at the start of the mission. Some missions allow that, other missions are specifically designed so you can only use certain equipment, its as simple as that.

Even if a server/mission allows you to select your custom loadout, if the server isn't running the same "special forces mod" you are, you wont be able to use it anyway.

I have no knowledge about call of duty or battlefield, I never played those.

I had MMOs in mind when I asked this. Set the character appearance and log in. That being said I am a MMO player and that brought me to Arma3, the opportunity to play a third person open world MMO-like experience with military.

But my question remais, how to use VATs and Arsenal to save a loadout and check if the server allow my profile to start with that gear?

FPDR

Connect to the server and see if the mission they are running allows it. Some missions such as Dynamic Universal Warfare (DUW) and such CTI-style (Capture the Island) missions often allow it. But as it is dependant more upon the mission that is running and not necessarily a server setting, it can vary massively...

FPDR

Connect to the server and see if the mission they are running allows it. Some missions such as Dynamic Universal Warfare (DUW) and such CTI-style (Capture the Island) missions often allow it. But as it is dependant more upon the mission that is running and not necessarily a server setting, it can vary massively...

I see, so its always in the starting area, there will be a box there I can browse, right?

And can i use this in servers that emulate MMOs like altis life? I am looking for a more persistent world experience here.

But what about using Arsenal and saving a loadout? I mean should I save it with the same name from my profile and log in the server? I am asking very basic questions because I never used Arma 3. I am trying to figure how use what I like (special forces woodland, m4 cqbr etc).

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

By Arsenal he means gun stores?

The Arsenal Profile can be named anything you like, it has no bearing on whether it will work or not. It is simply down to the mission the server is hosting. I don't know much about such RPG servers as Altis Life et al, as they're not my thing, but from what I've read they are rather "lifelike" so I doubt you'll be able to connect and just spawn yourself with SF gear, when those kind of missions see you more as a postman or a bank robber...

If you're looking for a persistent world where you can use your SF gear, try to find a server running a version of DUW I mentioned above. Its the only mission I know that allows you to use the Arsenal almost from the start (though there will be many other missions).

However, if you're looking for an MMO experience, you may be in the wrong place...

I see, so its always in the starting area, there will be a box there I can browse, right?

And can i use this in servers that emulate MMOs like altis life? I am looking for a more persistent world experience here.

But what about using Arsenal and saving a loadout? I mean should I save it with the same name from my profile and log in the server? I am asking very basic questions because I never used Arma 3. I am trying to figure how use what I like (special forces woodland, m4 cqbr etc).

If you play a mission that has a VAS-ammobox, you can save and load a certain loadout. That loadout will be stored in your game profile (just as Virtual Arsenal loadouts, except VAS is only a mission-script). After saving a loadout you can load this loadout in every mission that is using a VAS-ammobox and that hasn't restricted the items to be used.

Database-based missions (i.e. missions that have some sort of persistency) usually don't use VAS. That means that there's some other form of gear distribution (like saving the current gear on logging out or like buying-systems).

If you save a loadout in the Virtual Arsenal you can use that predefined loadout later if the mission allows the usage of VA - again: Only on preplaced mission objects. If there are no preplaced mission objects that have the VA-system applied, you can't change your loadout.

Modded items usually can't be used on servers. To be able to use a modded item in online multiplayer there are several conditions which have to be met.

1. The server has to allow the mod to be run by clients.

2. The mod has to be running on the server.

3. Each and every client has to have the mod.

That means that you can regularly only use vanilla items in online multiplayer.

There are however servers with certain mods enabled. Sometimes you can see which mods are enabled by taking a peek at the server-infos in the multiplayer-server-browser in-game. But other than that there are no possibilities to use custom content in multiplayer.

And to be quite clear: There's no character customisation in Arma besides choosing your face, voice and goggles in the profile-options. And this stuff is almost completely cosmetic.

Edited by Belbo

If you play a mission that has a VAS-ammobox, you can save and load a certain loadout. That loadout will be stored in your game profile (just as Virtual Arsenal loadouts, except VAS is only a mission-script). After saving a loadout you can load this loadout in every mission that is using a VAS-ammobox and that hasn't restricted the items to be used.

Database-based missions (i.e. missions that have some sort of persistency) usually don't use VAS. That means that there's some other form of gear distribution (like saving the current gear on logging out or like buying-systems).

If you save a loadout in the Virtual Arsenal you can use that predefined loadout later if the mission allows the usage of VA - again: Only on preplaced mission objects. If there are no preplaced mission objects that have the VA-system applied, you can't change your loadout.

Modded items usually can't be used on servers: To be able to use a modded item in online multiplayer there are several conditions which have to be met.

1. The server has to allow the mod to be run by clients.

2. The mod has to be running on the server.

3. Each and every client has to have the mod.

That means that you can regularly only use vanilla items in online multiplayer.

There are however servers with certain mods enabled. Sometimes you can see which mods are enabled by taking a peek at the server-infos in the multiplayer-server-browser in-game. But other than that there are no possibilities to use custom content in multiplayer.

And to be quite clear: There's no character customisation in Arma besides choosing your face, voice and goggles in the profile-options.

Thanks a LOT. I start to see the big picture here. So if I wanna run with this gear, I must ask wich server run the mod I got (Messi's), right? Either way I will only run with what the serve give me.

Thanks a LOT. I start to see the big picture here. So if I wanna run with this gear, I must ask wich server run the mod I got (Messi's), right? Either way I will only run with what the serve give me.

Technically right. :)

keep in mind that if your running a mod that is not allowed by a server (wich in allot of cases is not allowed except for populair Client side mods) you will automaticly get kicked off and will not be able to play. i suggest to play with only standard content untill you find a server/group that plays with the mods you want

keep in mind that if your running a mod that is not allowed by a server (wich in allot of cases is not allowed except for populair Client side mods) you will automaticly get kicked off and will not be able to play. i suggest to play with only standard content untill you find a server/group that plays with the mods you want

I noticed that already, got booted a few times since I installed that mod.

Is there any way to locate servers using it?

Hey, I can't create my own posts so I'll just post it here....

I have a lot of questions about the mission editor.

1 - How do I put an armory that I can use ingame?

2 - How do I delete any markers?

3 -  Is there a way for me to select a lot of units and synch them all at once with another unit?

4 - How do I synch a group of units to me in a way that they appear in the "Commander" mode (the one where you just control groups of units).

5 - Is there any way of doing Box selection, so I can select multiple units to move them all at once trough the map?

Thank you all.