Sign in to follow this  
orcinus

HSBC and global tax evasion

I'm sure most people will have heard about the appalling goings-on at HSBC (again...).

There's a campaign just launched on Avaaz today that's already approaching 300K signatures calling on the UK and US governments to bring criminal charges against the bankers involved and those individals who have evaded tax.

HSBC was fined USD1.9 billion for money-laundering on behalf of serially mass-murdering psychopathic Mexican drug lords. No-one went to jail nor even fined. The tab was picked up by the shareholders - including our pension providers (though as with other fines, e.g. Libor fixing, eventually it will be ordinary customers who pay it in increased charges/lower interest). Fines paid by others are not going to deter the sociopaths who think their right to huge bonuses excuses criminal misconduct on behalf of other criminals. The Guardian has several pages detailing how HSBC knowingly assisted a variety of criminals from around the world - they actually went out and recruited those people as clients.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/uk_hsbc_tax_dodge_/?tyOPgib

Please sign.

Signed. This stuff makes me angry. They need to close these kinds of loopholes just like the Ireland shell company problem (paying no corp tax when HQ is located in Ireland).

First against the wall when the revolution comes... ;)

(BBC) Swiss raid HSBC's Geneva office

It's time for Switzerland to pretend doing something against tax evasion and money laundering :rolleyes: At least, they aren't part of the EU, contrary to other countries playing against the others (Luxemburg for example).

Iceland led the way, the UK, US and many other countries should do the same. Many banks have been insolvent for years and years, its just a matter of time before we all pay, not the banks, but us. People could argue we are already paying for their mistakes, we are, but this is really small in comparison to what may/will happen when it all comes tumbling down. The bankers won't pay, it will be 'Joe Public' that pays, we will all sit back then and realise, what we have been putting up with of late, is nothing, compared to what we have to put up with in the future.

Also, I see lots quoting the BBC.. Really I would take care there, they are a mouthpiece that shouldn't really be trusted too much..;)

Also, I see lots quoting the BBC.. Really I would take care there, they are a mouthpiece that shouldn't really be trusted too much..;)

I'm often quoting the BBC for the factual international news, in English.

Lots of info in the Guardian, also the ICIJ which has published a big wadge of documents. ICIJ has the most detailed and worrying account.

Chris, the Beeb was a member of the group investigating this along with the Grauniad, ICIJ & Le Monde. Probably won't splash it as much as those others, though.

And of course the Torygraph will continue to downplay or even censor anything that makes HSBC look bad (their chief political commentator just resigned - very publicly - over the issue).

The BBC has all public money, well more or less, so their peek into banking will look serious, why not, you may think, nothing to be lost. So yes, they should be pushing really hard on the side of the general public, seeing as we pay for them.

However, just think of how many bankers that have been put away here in the UK since the big crash. Then think of all those media outlets that have strived endlessly to have those bankers put away, or at least face a trial of some kind for the fraud that goes on daily in that sector. Zero..

But, that isn't really why I said beware of them. I was speaking more generally regards quoting them (BBC), reason being, they have been a long time untrustworthy, not very accurate and very selective on what they report. That put with the things that have happened during recent times, well.. lets say I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them, and that wouldn't be that far.. ;)

There again when it comes to news, its hard to know where to look to get an unbiased, independent view.:(

BBC news, no, I'm not a fan.;)