Sign in to follow this  
Degman

Balaclava and face animations

Hello everyone!

I am wondering if there is any tutorial on how to make a proper balaclava animations in order to make a head not penetrating it each time when some face animation has been executed.

So, I have selections face_jawbone, face_chin, face_*, Neck, Neck1, Head, etc. ... on my 3D model of balaclava. These are based on "Samples_F\templateRTM\bust.p3d" (head) model's selections.

.. and it all works, but a problem lies in that selections are moving a way too much than they should.

Normal:

EIZOz23l.png

When face animation is executed:

x1dzjoil.png

Any soultions ? I know that BIS balaclavas are working perfectly, but as we have no templates, I simply dont know what to do.

I don't think you want the balaclava to have the same named selections as the face. Which is why its moving. Should try it with just the "head" selection

I don't think you want the balaclava to have the same named selections as the face. Which is why its moving. Should try it with just the "head" selection

That's what I did (including Neck selection as well), but a problem is that how face is passing throught static balaclava when head is in some state of animation. I could just expand a size of balaclava that much so it doesnt matter, but then it wont fit headgear and some other components well, which is exactly what I have right now in my mod and I want to change it. It is possible to have a nice and animated balaclava and everything, as I see that BI Studio did that with its balaclavas (when face's chin is moving, then part of balaclava which is named face_chin will move as well equally and show that animation exists and then that face's chin will not pass throught balaclava model, being a bug).

I am just wondering if anyone in community knows how to do that, or at least remind BI Studio that we need templates like that.

yeah it's all in the weighing of your model. I assume it needs to match the face perfectly. A2 samples have full head examples, the bone names are the same. Weigh it alongside those and see where you get. I agree we need more A3 templates. You could also try to PM an author that has released balaclavas and ask if they would give you a template, worth a try. Also you could absolutely make a feedback tracker ticket to BI about giving us face gear templates, also worth a shot. But check your weight selections, and size with the A2 head, it will get you close

yeah it's all in the weighing of your model. I assume it needs to match the face perfectly. A2 samples have full head examples, the bone names are the same. Weigh it alongside those and see where you get. I agree we need more A3 templates. You could also try to PM an author that has released balaclavas and ask if they would give you a template, worth a try. Also you could absolutely make a feedback tracker ticket to BI about giving us face gear templates, also worth a shot. But check your weight selections, and size with the A2 head, it will get you close

It fits a face model just perfectly. It can not be closer to it than it is now. Also, as I mentioned in a first post, all the selections are properly defined (based on A3 head model), but they just move too much in xyz. On example, when a player's (face_)chin is moving down, my balaclava's chin selection in moving down as well, but about 5-10cm .. which is a way too much. Anyway, u are in right, I should just post a ticket. I hope they will do something about it.

EDIT: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22342

Edited by DegmanCRO

only head and neck selections are neccesary for balaclava to work gpood.

You actually need to do weighting, same thing you do for character model.

If you want send me a p3d model and i will fix that, i also have balaclava for my mod.

A2 samples have full head examples, the bone names are the same. Weigh it alongside those and see where you get. I agree we need more A3 templates.

There's a weighed A3 head example in \...\Arma 3 Tools\Samples_F\TemplateRTM\bust.p3d

Note: it might only be on the tools devBranch at the moment

Oh man, that weighting thing is a something completely new to me. Mladja, I'll contact you in following days when I catch some free time, so I hope we'll discuss everything. There are also some other things I would like to talk with you about.

BTW thanks everyone, I'll put some effort in this weighting stuff and I hope to learn how to use it properly with time.