Sign in to follow this  
punks

Lookin into modelling

Hello guys , i'm new to modelling and i would like a proper tutorial to see what i need to get started and how to create vehicles,weapons,houses,etc. So if anyone can help me , it would be really apreciated !

Here is your ticket down the rabbit hole.

I have only found some for Arma 2 there , and one that i really think it would help , but i don't think i can use a Arma 2 tutorial for Arma 3 . That's why i asked for a "proper" tutorial like video/text one , but to explain good and step by step . I'm completley new to this , and i would really like to learn !

but i don't think i can use a Arma 2 tutorial for Arma 3

Yes you can! Most of the things (if not all) are still the same.

You didn't even try. Giallustio is right. There are a few minor things that are outdated, but almost all of it will apply. Its not perfect. But its a great place to start. If you really want to learn, then jump in try.

Even if you assumed it only applied to A2, there is a bunch of A3 stuff at the bottom. Did you scroll all the way down? There is no magic tutorial. You have to start small and pick a specific project. This is extremely intense and compicated stuff.

What is it you specifically want to do or learn? If making 3D functioning objects, that's the deep end of development and not recommended for beginners. If you really insist, then download a 3D Modeling program (recommend Blender), and learn the basics of that software alone. There are tutorials all over the net for Blender (or whatever you choose), that will get you started. Start with making a simple cube. After that you have to learn how to get that cube into ArmA. And so on...

Be specific, and start small. It's a great hobby anyone can get into, but its very time consuming and often frustrating. When you get stuck, its a great community that is here to help and explain the nuances along the way.

You didn't even try. Giallustio is right. There are a few minor things that are outdated, but almost all of it will apply. Its not perfect. But its a great place to start. If you really want to learn, then jump in try.

Even if you assumed it only applied to A2, there is a bunch of A3 stuff at the bottom. Did you scroll all the way down? There is no magic tutorial. You have to start small and pick a specific project. This is extremely intense and compicated stuff.

What is it you specifically want to do or learn? If making 3D functioning objects, that's the deep end of development and not recommended for beginners. If you really insist, then download a 3D Modeling program (recommend Blender), and learn the basics of that software alone. There are tutorials all over the net for Blender (or whatever you choose), that will get you started. Start with making a simple cube. After that you have to learn how to get that cube into ArmA. And so on...

Be specific, and start small. It's a great hobby anyone can get into, but its very time consuming and often frustrating. When you get stuck, its a great community that is here to help and explain the nuances along the way.

I have already installed Blender , because i heard many people use it for arma , and started with tutorials , thanks for the help ! If i'll have any problems , forums are just here :D

Also be sure to check all the Sticky Threads at the top of the major topics. May find more current info and tutorials on A3 specific projects. After you make your cube, rock, house, house with doors and an inside, whatever, etc in Blender. You will need the A3 Tools (download from Steam) to actually finish the "modeling" part and convert it into ArmA "3D" game code.

There is an Utility add-on that you can download to use for Blender that will convert Blender code into O2/OB code so you can open it in O2/OB (Oxygen2/Object Builder) to finalize the last steps before actually putting into the Arma game itself.

As you see, it gets complicated quick. There are also multiple ways and software that do the same thing. Each with pros and cons. Making it even more confusing.

So if you want to start with 3D modling (not recommend), build your cube with graphics in Blender. Try to make a Ammo Crate. Then download that Utility add-on (in other thread) for ArmaBlender conversion. Convert that Ammo Crate into the O2/OB file. So you will have your .blend file converted into .p3d file.

Open that in the ArmA Tools O2/OB program to add a few more game properties. Called the LODs. Stand for Level-of-Detail. ( I prefer Layers-of-Data )

Then you will need to setup a config file to run/control that model (ammo crate) you just made. That will tell the game how to display, control, react, use, etc. that ammo crate so it knows its just a basic box that sits on the ground and does nothing except hold what weapons you want in your new in-game "cube". Compete with its own classname.

Thus is just a quick example. Don't follow that word-for-word. That's was just a sample roadmap to show you how quickly it gets complicated for just a simple " cube". You will have to do your own keyword searches for each step.

Hope that helps more. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your first project come to life. Warning: if you get started in the Dev side of this hobby, it can get addictive. There are almost zero limits to what you can build into your own custom game. Cheers.

Edited by Goblin

Also be sure to check all the Sticky Threads at the top of the major topics. May find more current info and tutorials on A3 specific projects. After you make your cube, rock, house, house with doors and an inside, whatever, etc in Blender. You will need the A3 Tools (download from Steam) to actually finish the "modeling" part and convert it into ArmA "3D" game code.

There is an Utility add-on that you can download to use for Blender that will convert Blender code into O2/OB code so you can open it in O2/OB (Oxygen2/Object Builder) to finalize the last steps before actually putting into the Arma game itself.

As you see, it gets complicated quick. There are also multiple ways and software that do the same thing. Each with pros and cons. Making it even more confusing.

So if you want to start with 3D modling (not recommend), build your cube with graphics in Blender. Try to make a Ammo Crate. Then download that Utility add-on (in other thread) for ArmaBlender conversion. Convert that Ammo Crate into the O2/OB file. So you will have your .blend file converted into .p3d file.

Open that in the ArmA Tools O2/OB program to add a few more game properties. Called the LODs. Stand for Level-of-Detail. ( I prefer Layers-of-Data )

Then you will need to setup a config file to run/control that model (ammo crate) you just made. That will tell the game how to display, control, react, use, etc. that ammo crate so it knows its just a basic box that sits on the ground and does nothing except hold what weapons you want in your new in-game "cube". Compete with its own classname.

Thus is just a quick example. Don't follow that word-for-word. That's was just a sample roadmap to show you how quickly it gets complicated for just a simple " cube". You will have to do your own keyword searches for each step.

Hope that helps more. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your first project come to life. Warning: if you get started in the Dev side of this hobby, it can get addictive. There are almost zero limits to what you can build into your own custom game. Cheers.

Very kind of you :D . I really apreciate your help , right now i'm looking to a beginner series on youtube for blender , just to get familiar with blender options . And is really interesting , and i like it more and more :) . I hope i will do it fine , the only thing i'm "scared" is the config that i will have to do for arma , cuz i don't know pretty much scripting . And again , thank you a lot ! And ofc after i will have my first "ammo crate" i will be more then happy to put it up here and ask your opinion .

blender is awesome for a free program. I do all my work in it. Loads of great blender basic tuts on youtube. Learn the program basics, modifiers, etc. The more you know how to use the tools, the better (and easier) your work will be. You won't become a pro overnight, as most of us have been doing this a loooong time. The A3 samples can provide you with helpful config, and mod folder layouts. Don't stress the small stuff, and keep in mind that everyone, at some point, started where you are right now