waitumus

Custom tree model problems

Hi there, I am quite new to modding for arma and am currently in the process of making my own island, and have decided to undertake the process of making my own trees to better fit the landscape, not knowing of the frustration that awaits. I searched google far and wide for the past 2 days looking at various tutorials for importing custom models into ARMA and have just gotten more and more confused. At the moment i have my tree models ready and have textured them in blender. This is the point where i have hit a brick wall, when opening the models in the Object Builder, i can put the textures on all of the parts of my tree and in the buldozer i can see the textures, but when i then load that tree in the Terrain Builder and go into buldozer through that, it says it can't load the textures. I have no idea about coding and such and so I don't really know what i am doing when it comes to configs and RVMATS, and every tutorial seems to have its own way of doing everything and it just makes me confused, so if someone could help a poor newbie get a tree into arma that would be great :) (ps i have tried the arma toolbox for blender but it doesnt seem to work on my computer)

You've picked pretty much the hardest kind of ARMA model to work on first; the way trees are drawn (including the textures) and how they are prepared for drawing at a distance is very different to ARMA vehicles, buildings and characters, and almost no-one in the modding community works on them.

The way to figure them out is by looking at the sample models provided by BIS while paying great attention to the details; however you won't get anything from that if you don't understand the basics of ARMA models (textures, materials, configurations and so on).

What I would suggest is picking simple static models to start with, such as barriers, walls and miscellaneous solid objects. There are tutorials that will step you through those and in the process of doing it you'll start to learn what you need to know to analyse sample models yourself.

Hey, I am also making some trees to fit my terrain. I have mine successfully in Object Builder, however the leaves are all transparent, and in game the trunk is also a hint transparent as well. However, I would be happy to help you get your textures working. It is most probably either a problem with your textures format or you have lost integrity through conversion (Blender > Object Builder).\

Add me on Skype: nicholas.cole6