iceman77

[ Tutorial ] How to start up a dedicated server on your own machine ( for testing )

Created for those who know nothing and just need the bare minimum. For those who don't want to sift through redundant computer jargan just to start a dedicated server with a name and password just so they can test code. No 3rd party programs needed.

STEP 1: Make a new folder in your Arma3 main (root) directory where Arma3 is installed and name it SERVERCFG

STEP 2: Create a new file named configMain.cfg and place it in the SERVERCFG folder.

STEP 3: Create a new file named configBasic.cfg and place it in the SERVERCFG folder.

STEP 4: Copy and paste the below code(s) into the appropriate empty file(s) you just created. Make sure and save them. Make sure the file types ARE cfg.

configMain.cfg

steamPort = 2305;
hostName = "YOUR SERVER NAME";
password = "myServerPassword";
passwordAdmin = "myAdminpassword";
logFile = "";

motd[] = {
};

motdInterval = 3;

maxPlayers = 51;
kickduplicate = 1;
verifySignatures = 0;
requiredSecureId = 0;

voteMissionPlayers = 3;
voteThreshold = 0.33;

disableVoN = 0;
vonCodecQuality = 10;
persistent = 1;
timeStampFormat = "full";
BattlEye = 1;

doubleIdDetected = "";
onUserConnected = "";
onUserDisconnected = "";
onHackedData = "";
onDifferentData = "";
onUnsignedData = "";
regularCheck = "";

configBasic.cfg

MaxMsgSend = 128;
MaxSizeGuaranteed = 512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 256;
MinBandwidth = 131072;
MaxBandwidth = 2097152000;
MinErrorToSend = 0.001;
MinErrorToSendNear = 0.01;
MaxCustomFileSize = 1310720;
class sockets{maxPacketSize = 1400;};
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_W=0;
Resolution_H=0;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
terrainGrid=25;
viewDistance=2000;
Windowed=0;

STEP 5: Open up the official Arma3 launcher. The .exe for the official Arma3 launcher can be found in the Arma3 root directory (arma3Launcher.exe).

STEP 6: Once that's open, click on the parameters button

STEP 7: Click on advanced button

STEP 8: Go down to [+] Host and click on it to activate the drop down menu

STEP 9: Enter in the following information ( and check boxes ) like it is in the screen shot below

kHr48cW.jpg

STEP 10: Click the play button and wait for the server to be created. This may take a few moments.

STEP 11: Once the server has started, un-check the server [ ] check box in the screen shot above.

STEP 12: Click play. Once the game has started up go into the multiplayer server lobby and filter for your server

If the server doesn't show up then try switching to LAN or you need to forward each port in the List Of Ports below to your router and/or firewall. Go to http://portforward.com/ to learn how to forward ports.

List Of Ports:

Edited by Iceman77

This way works perfectly for me. I luckily had a random player joining in so I instantly had the confirmation that it is working.

The only issue I ran into is when I launch the game to join in, I get the following message in the main menu:

"Problem occured when saving Profile data. The File may be set to read-only or can be blocked by another instance of the game (e.g. dedicated Server)."

And it resets all the settings back to default, so all my tweaks to get a smooth fps are gone.

How do you force the server to use a different profile so that I can use my perfectly-tweaked one ingame?

I am unsure of a way to do it through the launcher, but I would just set some startup parameters for the Arma3Server.exe and put -profile=Server1 this will force load the server to a new profile.

Excellent instructions.  It worked great, but the only missions I see are the ones I downloaded; none from Steam Workshop.  I tried a bunch of Googles to no avail.

2024, doesnt seem to work, although it is coming up under LAN. It doesnt know which mission to load.....