Sign in to follow this  
meatball

Steam Workshop Still Useful?

I love that fact that we can easily publish and 'subscribe' to A3 content through Steam Workshop, but to be honest, it's starting to become a mess. There's almost 10,000 items available for A3 right now, and it's nearly impossible to determine what's good and what's not. Many of the '5 star' entries are pretty buggy/bad, and there's probably a lot of really good entries out there with no or very few ratings that are impossible to find.

There any way to do something with Steam Workshop so people can better find the gems and avoid the junk? There's gotta be a better way to do it...

I'm not sure what the BI devs can do about it, but the problem with the SW (or simply valve in general) seems to be a lack of content curation and moderation.

Maybe people can just a bit more honest with their ratings. :) There's an awful lot of '5 stars' out there on content that, pardon my french, is crap. Buggy, broken, etc.

I think BIS should provide a rating for missions on the workshop based on content and being relatively bug free (although a lot of bugs are introduced each time A3 is updated). That way there would be an independent rating for a mission. The user ratings require 25 or 30 votes to get a rating, but very few players bother to vote. None of my missions have user ratings on them, even though they have hundreds of subscribers.

I wouldn't expect BIS to provide a critical review of the story part of the mission other than to confirm that there is a story to it, but give an indication of what to expect.

5 stars could for the professional ones with voice acting and everything.

4 stars without voice acting

3 stars for less professional ones

2 stars for for ones without any sort of brifing or introduction

1 star for those that have no explanation or briefing at all

Honestly, that sounds like a waste of BIS resources to me.

Yes you are right, but I can't see any other independent review that could carry similar weight, which leaves us with the current user review system. I would rather BIS concentrate on squashing bugs, improving optimisation and providing extra features, as well as fixing the AI. That will keep them busy for a while.

"There any way to do something with Steam Workshop so people can better find the gems and avoid the junk? There's gotta be a better way to do it... "

Its to easy to publish with Steam Workshop and so the crap pile is indeed heaping. Those of us with balls for critical scrutiny by those in the know will submit here on BI. The moderators will then upload and maintain on Armaholic. Most stuff on there IS quality.

Let the crap pile continue. As at least its somewhat of a filter of crap not ending up on Armaholic. Not saying there isn't good stuff on SW... but thats my theory. Sorry for the rant, but it has infuriated me before. The sheer ton of crap that I must sift through on SW.

Edited by Jigsor