Sign in to follow this  
connorwarman

The status of ArmA 3's sounds

Whats up with ArmA 3's vanilla sounds? Since the Alpha I have noticed a consistent trend in sound issues in game. Whether its some sounds completely overlapping others, guns/vehicles not making any noise at all after a few hundred meters. How come that chopper is firing its main cannon 300M above me and I cant hear it? Why am I taking fire but can figure out where from because the gun sounds are so low? Its a serious issue that myself and my community has observed over the course of ArmA 3's lifetime.

It something I consistently notice that really ruins most of the game for me. My situation awareness gets completely borked every mission because the game cant seem to handle more than a few noises going off at one time.

Does anyone know why BIS has neglected this issue? Am I crazy/dumb? Is it just me/my community?

Thanks!

Yeah some of the sounds in arma 3 can be odd, especially with distances and such.

Wait for JSRS: Dragonfyre to come out, use that and then wait for Advanced Combat Sound Environment to come out, and then use that instead.

I think sound mods are going to be the only way in the future, but I am hanging on without any for now.

Yeah some of the sounds in arma 3 can be odd, especially with distances and such.

Wait for JSRS: Dragonfyre to come out, use that and then wait for Advanced Combat Sound Environment to come out, and then use that instead.

I think sound mods are going to be the only way in the future, but I am hanging on without any for now.

Thats what I thought someone would say.

I find that ridiculous. We shouldn't have to wait for mods, why is it that BIS cant fix their base game? Its just very disappointing as a long time player.

Edited by Connorwarman

Well for one speed of sound is fixed.

"Yesterday's dev update also brought word of a fix to 'speed of sound' simulation. It's a relatively complex under-the-hood change to the ordering of samples, which caused an issue where some samples were played in 2D, rather than 3D with attenuation. One useful example of what's changed is an issue where you could hear reloading across the island after the shooting, but the shooting sound came later than reloading sound. This problem should now be addressed. As promised last week, more updates should emerge from the re-purposed Audio department in the near future!"

Source: http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00068

More:

"Last week, we managed to add sounds to opening and closing doors in game. The work is still in progress - all doors currently have the same sound - but we're looking to add different samples for distinctive types of door. Although it's a fairly minor feature, it's something that's been omitted for many years. Furthermore, this (relatively) safe/simple work has been a good learning experience for our new audio designers, who are still getting to grips with the engine. With this in mind, Audio Lead Jan Dušek has started work on a blog that outlines the recent changes in his department and communicates his vision of the future of audio development in Arma 3."

Source:http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00067

Well for one speed of sound is fixed.

"Yesterday's dev update also brought word of a fix to 'speed of sound' simulation. It's a relatively complex under-the-hood change to the ordering of samples, which caused an issue where some samples were played in 2D, rather than 3D with attenuation. One useful example of what's changed is an issue where you could hear reloading across the island after the shooting, but the shooting sound came later than reloading sound. This problem should now be addressed. As promised last week, more updates should emerge from the re-purposed Audio department in the near future!"

Source: http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00068

More:

"Last week, we managed to add sounds to opening and closing doors in game. The work is still in progress - all doors currently have the same sound - but we're looking to add different samples for distinctive types of door. Although it's a fairly minor feature, it's something that's been omitted for many years. Furthermore, this (relatively) safe/simple work has been a good learning experience for our new audio designers, who are still getting to grips with the engine. With this in mind, Audio Lead Jan Dušek has started work on a blog that outlines the recent changes in his department and communicates his vision of the future of audio development in Arma 3."

Source:http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00067

Thats good to hear, but the door noises seem a bit unnecessary, when compared with the other issues at least.

Thats good to hear, but the door noises seem a bit unnecessary, when compared with the other issues at least.

As mentioned in the post above the new sound engineer is exploring the engine so while seemingly unnecessary, I for one am more than happy to give BI more time providing they get it *right at the end. (*immersive and authentic )

As mentioned in the post above the new sound engineer is exploring the engine so while seemingly unnecessary, I for one am more than happy to give BI more time providing they get it *right at the end. (*immersive and authentic )

Thats good to hear, hopefully we see some fixes here soon.

As mentioned in the post above the new sound engineer is exploring the engine

Gives me impression that there is more then one "for our new audio designers".If you guys follow the tweeters, there

was a photo of so called "Team Bravo, with guest stars from Team Thailand"?

Source:https://twitter.com/JosefZemanek1/status/482456503535042560

Well it is blind guess :D