Sign in to follow this  
Duke101

adding mods to server ?

Hello,

Hoping someone can help. I have just purchased a dedicated server. have it set up, etc.

But I am a complete noob with servers. How do you install/add mods to your server? I have tried searching, but can't find some simple a,b, c type instructions for complete newbies like me.

Can someone help or point my in the right direction please?

Many thanks!

There are a few ways to do this, but I'll tell you what I do...

1. Install them all with PWS - make sure it installs them to your main ArmA 3 folder. Alternatively, you can just manually download them all from Armaholic or wherever they are hosted. I use PWS cause its faster and easy to update them.

2. Install TADST which is basically a UI version of the server config file for launching it easily.

3. Launch TADST and go through each tab - check out all the options, there are tooltips that pop up when you hover over them.

There is a lot more to it but that will get you started.

BASIC EXPLANATION

mods are basically a collection of addons installed in folders

Addons are made by 3rd parties to add content or functionality to the game

Typical Structure of a Mod folder

A3 root folder

.......... \ @XYZMod

....................\ addons

.............................. \ xyz.pbo

.............................. \ xyz.pbo.tag.bisign

The root MOD folder can be called anything you want, there is however an unwritten unofficial protocol that is widely used and that is to precede the folder name with the "@" character

The addons folder contains 2 type of files

.pbo (This is the actual addon)

.bisign (This is the file that the server communicates with to verify the integrity of the corresponding.pbo file

Each .pbo is (or should be) paired with its own .bisign

When you download an addon, typically the addon maker packs it into his own "named" mod folder,

for example @CBA_A3

Apart from the Mod folder, there should also be a "Keys" folder in the download.

The .bikey that is contained in the keys folder is for serverside use only, clients don't need or use it.

(Some .bikeys come in the addons folder, they dont belong there but cause no harm residing there)

INSTALLATION

To use addons is basically the same format for both clients and servers, apart from the server ".bikey"

1. Unpack and copy them into your arma3 folder
  2. Initialise the addons by defining either
    • a) a "-mod=@CBA_A3" command line in a desktop shortcut that is linked to your arma3.exe\arma3server.exe (Recommended for clients)
    • b) "-mod=@CBA_A3" command in firedeamon (servers only) (recommended for servers) you can get a clan discount for this great tool
    • c) Loading them in a custom launcher tool (Some are good some are not so.
    • d) Using the ingame Mod launcher system (Clients only)

[*]SERVER ONLY:

• Define verifysignatures=2 on your server config file (The same file where you define the admin password)
  • Copy the .bikey in the mod's "keys" folder to the server's A3 root "Keys" folder
    (The Keys folder white lists the allowed addons on your server. If someone tries to connect to the server with addons, you dont have a bikey installed for, they wont be able to connect.
    You should allow some clientside addons such as JSRS Mod, shack tac hud etc, do this by adding their .bikey to your keys folder. These are clientside only addons, you dont need to run these addons on the server

MISCELLANEOUS

You dont have to keep the addons in the mod folders that the addons came in, you can create your own and copy all the files needed into your own mod structure

for example, on our addon server we use the following mod folders

@ZCBA_A3

@ZAlive

@ZIslands

@ZCommon

@ZClient

command line used to launch this is

-mod=@ZCBA_A3;@ZAlive;@ZCommon;@ZIslands;@ZClient

@ZCommon contains

• DAR_HWMMV's
  • Chinook
  • AK Weapon pack,
  • M4 Weapon pack
  • AGM Mod
  • Task Force radio
  • and others

@ZIslands contains

• A3MP content
  • + some additional islands like ToraBora

We typically pack most things that are easy to update into one common folder which makes management for us easier.

If I need to update for example DAR's Humvee pack, all the files start with his tag "DAR_", easy enough to find and then replace

The Alive mod however is a different beast, all the tags differ, this is why Alive is kept in its own mod folder

DOWNLOADING & ADDON MANAGEMENT

http://www.armaholic.com/ is the best source for direct downloads

http://play.withsix.com/arma-3 is a download and management application (Steep learning curve)

http://www.sonsofexiled.fr/wiki/index.php/ArmA3Sync_Wiki_English is a serverside/clientside content management and launcher application, easier to use and set up. We personally use this, it gives better control and ease of use to our clients

Edited by Terox

Thanks to both of you, some great info there.

I have mods already installed which are used as a part of my clan, which are on the clan server.

I am one of several mission makers and I have just got a pretty cheap server which I can test my missions on (sometimes it's such a pain to get time to test on the clan server and I'm not an admin, which makes it even harder- have to wait for them to upload my mission onto the server and then try find the time to test, etc). So I thought what the hell I'll just get a cheap sever so at least I can test my missions on a DS, when I want, etc. So I just want to put on the existing mods onto the server, which I am paying for. If that makes sense!?

So I will look into both of your suggestions and see if I can them running on my server.

Thanks for your advise and your time, it's appreciated.

Hi there.

I just get my first slot rented server and your advice helped me a lot. Unfortunately I still have problems with mods.

My mod list is @A3MP,@Clafghan,@fata,@CAF_AG,@ADF,@ASDG_JR,@lkr_ammo. first 3 of them are just fine, but I have problems with @CAF_AG,@ADF,@ASDG_JR,@lkr_ammo. I used multiplayer editor with mods to get my mission ready, exported the mission in to *.pbo (scripts included) and uploaded the mission and all the mods I used on the server, added all the .bikey to the keys folder and added -mod=@A3MP;... to Command Line. In server.cfg I put class Arma3 {template="opfor.clafghan"; difficulty="Regular"; }; and verifysignatures=2. As usual I couldn't see the server in the server browser (for any verifysignatures > 0 I can't see the server in server browser). So I add removed "verifysignatures=2" and restart the server. When I joined the server and wanted to start a mission I was getting that error with "Dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted" on ak47 gun, then ak74, svd , m4... and so on. I put the same files I used to creat mods on server, with keys, config file... everything except "verifysignatures=2" and I still can't use mods. Can you guys help me please?

1) your or the server is not loading the addon that the following require.... ak47 gun, then ak74, svd

2 reasons for this

a) You have edited a mission while running JSRS, this will add addon dependancy to the mission

or

You or the server is not running the modm line you think you are

Open up the mission.sqm and look at the addons and addons auto section for the list of addons required.

If you see any entries for JSRS in there delete them, other than that your -mod line is incorrect and you arent loading the required mod on your client or server.

Check both the server rpt file and the client rpt file and you will see at the top, the actual config (command line) it is running

Edited by Terox

Been busy, then unwell- finally have my mods and keys set up for the server.

However, having an issue... I'm using the arma sync launcher, game loads up, finds the server, my username "connecting" and all the usual blah from the server company I'm using "welcome...", etc. I thought great- then... nothing? Just hangs on the screen just before you would enter and be on the mission list screen? Not getting errors such as missing keys, etc. It's like it's working... but not quite (obviously).

After setting it all up, having a few problems which I rectified, then to get SO close (it seems) is a real bummer.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

check RPT file for errors

remove all missions and then try (There will be standard BIS missions to select)

Always prove a vanilla install when trying to debug a server issue

check RPT file for errors

remove all missions and then try (There will be standard BIS missions to select)

Always prove a vanilla install when trying to debug a server issue

Thanks Terox. Yeah I have one error: c:\w\futura_stable\lib\network\networkserver.cpp ClearNetServer:NOT IMPLEMENTED - briefing!

looking into it appears that it could be a port problem- so I've opened ports, but that doesn't seem to help. Another thing I found about it, is that it could be a case sensitive issue with .pbo's, etc in the addons i.e. some servers don't like capitals. Need to go out for a bit and will look at that when I get back.

error: c:\w\futura_stable\lib\network\networkserver.cpp ClearNetServer:NOT IMPLEMENTED - briefing!

thats a BI thing, dont worry about it

error: c:\w\futura_stable\lib\network\networkserver.cpp ClearNetServer:NOT IMPLEMENTED - briefing!

thats a BI thing, dont worry about it

Ok thanks, saved me a job hmm...back to the drawing board. No missions on the server now. Just checked arma sync launcher for my group's server and no problems- so its not that. Not sure what to do.

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

I've got it working- such as basic error...the server come preloaded with wasteland. I remember deleting it...but within the config it was set up as a mission cycle and of course, it didn't exist! Doh:o

Thanks for your help Terox.

1) your or the server is not loading the addon that the following require.... ak47 gun, then ak74, svd

2 reasons for this

a) You have edited a mission while running JSRS, this will add addon dependancy to the mission

or

You or the server is not running the modm line you think you are

Open up the mission.sqm and look at the addons and addons auto section for the list of addons required.

If you see any entries for JSRS in there delete them, other than that your -mod line is incorrect and you arent loading the required mod on your client or server.

Check both the server rpt file and the client rpt file and you will see at the top, the actual config (command line) it is running

server:

== C:\ClientInstalls\BORSR\GameServers\TC68336831604007637115384\arma3server.exe

== "C:\ClientInstalls\BORSR\GameServers\TC68336831604007637115384\arma3server.exe" -server -mod=@A3MP;@Clafghan;@fata;@CAF_AG;@ADF;@ASDG_JR;@lkr_ammo -config=server.cfg -ip=212.83.57.144 -port=2312 -profiles=C:\ClientInstalls\BORSR\GameServers\TC68336831604007637115384\ -name=server -maxplayers=16 -nosound -nosplash

lient

client:

== C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe

== "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@A3MP;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@Clafghan;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@fata;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@CAF_AG;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@ADF;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@ASDG_JR;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@lkr_ammo;"

In mission.sqm I can't find anything related to JSRS, in fact I never use JSRS in Arma 3. Do I need to change my provider?

server:

== C:\ClientInstalls\BORSR\GameServers\TC68336831604007637115384\arma3server.exe

== "C:\ClientInstalls\BORSR\GameServers\TC68336831604007637115384\arma3server.exe" -server -mod=@A3MP;@Clafghan;@fata;@CAF_AG;@ADF;@ASDG_JR;@lkr_ammo -config=server.cfg -ip=212.83.57.144 -port=2312 -profiles=C:\ClientInstalls\BORSR\GameServers\TC68336831604007637115384\ -name=server -maxplayers=16 -nosound -nosplash

lient

client:

== C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe

== "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" "-mod=C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@A3MP;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@Clafghan;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@fata;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@CAF_AG;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@ADF;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@ASDG_JR;C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\@lkr_ammo;"

Standard advice for all issues with a server

No.1 The first thing you should do is try running a standard non addon missions and prove that the server runs ok, starting it via a desktop shortcut

No.2 if No.1 is okay, Then modify the desktop shortcut to run the -mod line you need to test the addons and the mission

No.3. If No.2 runs okay you need to take this up in the TcAdmin thread or administer your TC admin correctly

if you fail on No.2 then you are not running the addons required by the mission, recheck the -mod line and check what addons theAK's require and add them.

Pastebin any files, RPT, Mission.sqm (Just the first bit with the addons and addons auto arrays)nobody with any sense is going to download a file to look at its contents.

Edited by Terox

Damn- I'm still having a problem. I can get on the server (so all the appropriate keys are signed), I can load and play the vanilla missions on altis/startis, but having the A3MP map pack, if I try to load a mission on takistan for e.g., I get to the voting screen, clock counts down and then nothing? With a mission on altis, etc it takes me into the role assignment page.

Incidentally, I am using the identical mods that my group uses and can join and play on that server with no issues. So I think I can assume that my mods within themselves are fine. So there must be something wrong with my server set-up or something? Its strange, so I can get on the server, so the keys must be correct? I don't get it.

Any ideas? (Sorry I am a real server noob).

Thanks.

Can someone help please?

This is what I have/done:

I'm using the arma sync launcher (which my group uses and have the server set up to join the group and now my personal server), with the mod set folder(s) which my group uses. I have signed all the keys for the mods used on my server (I have the mods installed within my main A3 directory of course).

I can join my server, without errors or notification that I'm missing a key, etc. So it seems to be signed ok.

But- I can only load the vanilla missions, which run fine on my server. So I assume I must be missing a mod or something somewhere? The server administrator from my group kindly gave me a list of all the keys that need to be added/signed- I have those bikey's within my key folder on my server.

I have missed something else that I need to do/add? I'm not sure where to go from here or how to begin to eliminate/narrow down what the problem might be.

Any help/suggestion would be so appreciated.

Thanks.

Standard advice for all issues with a server

No.1 The first thing you should do is try running a standard non addon missions and prove that the server runs ok, starting it via a desktop shortcut

No.2 if No.1 is okay, Then modify the desktop shortcut to run the -mod line you need to test the addons and the mission

No.3. If No.2 runs okay you need to take this up in the TcAdmin thread or administer your TC admin correctly

if you fail on No.2 then you are not running the addons required by the mission, recheck the -mod line and check what addons theAK's require and add them.

Pastebin any files, RPT, Mission.sqm (Just the first bit with the addons and addons auto arrays)nobody with any sense is going to download a file to look at its contents.

I failed step 2. I checked every single file from @CAF_AG and it is in place but the mod is still not working. I just wanted to show you that every thing is init's place and wanted to know if I need to change my provider, no need to get angry man.

p.s. also with mods my server status is always "creating" .... if that says anything about what the problem may be.

Edited by Cotoi