Sign in to follow this  
taoistlumberjak

Issue with Multiplayer - Crashes local network

I'm having an issue with multiplayer that appears to be shared by others. When trying to play multiplayer, I usually can only get a minute of play time at most before I lose connection. I have figured out that the game is, at that point, crashing my internet connection. On most occasions, it appears that the router continues to work correctly, but my ISP connection drops out. There was one occasion where I believe the router went out, but it may have also been my myriad attempts at fixing the issue that caused that to happen. I have unblocked the ports necessary for the game, and have placed my computer in the router's DMZ. I don't believe it's a router issue, but one with the ISP or the DSL modem.

Here is all of the information for devices located between my computer and my ISP's connection.

Wireless connection

Router - Linksys E1000 v1

Modem - Westell G90

ISP - Cincinnati Bell

To add to this, I've fired up FSX through VATSIM, GTA IV, HL2 (and various mods), and rFactor to play online. None of these have given me any trouble whatsoever with connecting to online multiplayer. This is the only game that I have tested of the above listed that has given me any trouble.

Is IP Flood Detection enabled in the Router/Modem's firewall?

My first suggestion is: Try wired connection instead.

Second: Check this http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E1000-Intermittent-Wireless-Issue/td-p/353023

Argh. That bought me about 2 more minutes of play time before it broke my internet again.

A wired connection is very difficult, as the setup is in a distant location due to the way this house was built.

Is IP Flood Detection enabled in the Router/Modem's firewall?

I disabled the firewall in the router. I'm going to connect to my modem shortly.

---------- Post added at 03:19 ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 ----------

Ha ha! Finally broke into my modem. Apparently, it has the factory defaults instead of the ISP supplied access address, so that took some digging.

Everything is configured on the modem to pass through, and the firewall on the modem is disabled to boot (re-enabled the router firewall just for now to be safe, but that's going down right before I test). I might not be able to test the game for another 36 hours or so, give or take a few. I'll let you guys know if that works.

If it does work, I'll try to write up something. There are quite a few people on the steam community board who are having a similar issue.

The modem probably has a security or other type of log. Check if there are messages about the network drop.

I saw the security log but it was blank when I tried to view it.

I tested the new settings this morning before I left, and nada. All firewalls were turned off, and I couldn't access the modem from behind my router. So that may be part of the problem, and the angle I'm going to attack when I get back at this on Saturday (if I can).

Does anyone have a definitive list of ports that need to be unblocked? I'm using https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server#Port_Forwarding as a guide, but I'm worried that there's something else that needs to be unblocked.

I removed the Linksys router from the equation, replacing it with a basic dlink 7200 from the old days. No security or anything. Still did not work.

I've finally figured out how to set my old modem to bridge mode. I'll see how that works.

Have you tried with UPNP on and off? Changed channel on wireless? Stronger signal? (called transmit power on my router. "Tx power = transmission power of device

This is the wireless device's transmission power and is typically measured in dBm. With greater Tx power, greater transmission distances can be achieved. ")

I wouldn't recommend turning off firewall in the router. Secondly, port forwarding etc shouldnt be required. But if you do use it, make your router give your computer a static IP. So it actually forwards ports on the right device.

Check if there are firmware upgrades.

I hope you are using just one router, two routers just get messy. DSL modem is not counted as a router.

Nope, just one router. The second was for troubleshooting purposes, and I removed the original from the network for that.

But

That's all moot, because I've figured out what appears to be the cause. My modem was set up to assign addresses in standard mode through DHCP. I had planned on switching it to bridged mode, but all of the instructions I had for the modem were either for a different version of the hardware or firmware, or they were wildly inaccurate. I stumbled upon the menu that allowed me to switch to bridged mode. I was able to play for about 30-45 minutes this morning, the only issues encountered being related to, I believe, standard ISP internet connectivity issues and/or the distances from my AP.

A heads up to anyone; if you're having this issue, either post here what modem and ISP you have, or post the steps you have taken to switch your modem to bridged mode. I'll do that as soon as possible, but my next apparent issue is that my router is not allowing connections through it to the modem config page.