Sign in to follow this  
kocrachon

How do I UAV?

Not sure what i am doing wrong, I read a bunch of forum posts and I can't tell what I am missing..

So right now I have a test map where I have 10 Enemy tanks sitting at one end of the runway. One player is controlling a DART and laser designating a tank. I am controlling both a CAS and Regular greyhawk in the air. For some reason, neither of them seem to be able to target the tanks. The LGB version does not seem to be able to target the DARTs laser, nor its own, and the other one cant target the laser OR the tanks. If I release control of the UAV, it fires on its own but still seems to misses the tanks.

Also, at the terminal screen, does the "Autonomous" button actually do anything? From what I read when I check it off, the UAV should fly in a straight path since it doesn't have my input, but whether I turn it on or off it starts to develop its own flight plan.

Sorry if these have been asked but most of the forum posts didn't seem to have a resolution to this that I noticed.

Alright, so I resolved the targeting issue, but can anyone explain to me how Autonomous works, and is there a way to force the UAV to fly straight while in the turret?

"Autonomous" means the UAV engages enemies on its own. I don't think it does anything else.

UAV should fly straight if you give it waypoints. But if you mean straight as in steadily, then no, they wobble a lot. BIS is currently working on that though.

Ah ok,

Yeah I mean flying straight on. Wasn't sure what Autonomous was, thanks for the clarification.

Basically the issue I run into is I have a mission where our forces are getting over run, and if the pilot takes over the UAV for a minute to help provide air support, its kind of a slow process to get the UAV to use the waypoints to line up a good shoot on moving troops and on a dynamic battle field, if they set the waypoint, enemies might have shifted positions, or it puts the UAV in a hostile zone for too long or something. So a better process of letting the player set the flight path, then switch to gunner while the UAV maintains its straight flight, would make things 100 times better for me. To me, that would make the UAV perfect.

Ya using the UAVs for actual bombing support is tricky. I have had it where there is a tank and then a single soldier close to the tank. And the UAV will use its last bomb on the soldier when I want it to attack the tank.

However just doing recon with the camera works amazing. That is all I use them for now.