Sign in to follow this  
opendome

Arma 3 and GSYNC

Solution to what issues? It's really just a solution for not having to use VSync which can create input lag.

It's not going to improve your framerates or anything.

I guess my issues would be low fps and fps jumping all over the place. Dang I saw on the graph that it had a 10-20 FPS increase compared to not having GSYNC

The graph compares framerates with V-sync versus G-sync. You aren't going to get any performance increase compared to not running any screen-tearing solution at all. You can go into your Arma 3 right now, disable V-Sync, and it's quite likely you won't gain a single additional frame per second.

The thing about VSync vs no VSync is you can't really compare framerates between the two and expect to get accurate results, because VSync inherently limits your framerate to multiples of your refresh rate. So without Vsync you may still get drops to 10 FPS, but you will get crazy jumps to 200 FPS in times when you look at the ground or the sky or whatever, whereas with VSync you will never go above your refresh rate in FPS. So with VSync off you will see a much higher average but in reality performance has not improved.

Personally, I use D3DOverrider to force Triple Buffering and then enable VSync in-game, as well as use nVidia Inspector to limit framerate to 58 FPS (I use a 60 Hz monitor). No input lag, no wacky framerate fluctuations, and no tearing. So far it's worked great in everything I've tried.

I am excited to try GSync eventually, but not at the prices they want for it right now.

G-sync sounds like a lot of effort to get rid of a small issue to me.

The thing about VSync vs no VSync is you can't really compare framerates between the two and expect to get accurate results, because VSync inherently limits your framerate to multiples of your refresh rate. So without Vsync you may still get drops to 10 FPS, but you will get crazy jumps to 200 FPS in times when you look at the ground or the sky or whatever, whereas with VSync you will never go above your refresh rate in FPS. So with VSync off you will see a much higher average but in reality performance has not improved.

Personally, I use D3DOverrider to force Triple Buffering and then enable VSync in-game, as well as use nVidia Inspector to limit framerate to 58 FPS (I use a 60 Hz monitor). No input lag, no wacky framerate fluctuations, and no tearing. So far it's worked great in everything I've tried.

I am excited to try GSync eventually, but not at the prices they want for it right now.

Don't upgrade to Nvidia drivers beyond 320.49 as after that you can't use the frame rate limiter and vsync together, the driver won't allow it.

Don't upgrade to Nvidia drivers beyond 320.49 as after that you can't use the frame rate limiter and vsync together, the driver won't allow it.

You can. Afterburner only warns you not to. I believe.

You can. Afterburner only warns you not to. I believe.

To clarify, you cannot use the frame rate limiter and vsync together, within the NV control panel / Inspector. Nvidia have confirmed this is by design. You may well be able to use Afterburner to force whichever one you don't enable in NVCP https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/660237/geforce-drivers/non-working-v-sync-with-frame-limiter-workaround/2/

I don't force VSync in the CP, I just use the in-game functionality. It seems to work fine. If I only use the framerate limiter and not VSync + Triple buffering, I get tearing.

Alternatively, you can force VSync with D3DOverrider as well, and that works fine. You just can't do it in the NVCP (apparently).