Sign in to follow this  
Planetar

Respawn ticket change since Zeus update

Hey all,

My problem is that since the Zeus patch, my MP missions begins from the respawn screen (which is obviously less desirable and causes some issues). The respawn screen says always "NE (or some other direction) of Fournos". My mission is not even near such a place, and it happens in all of my missions with the same template.

Before the patch the thing worked just fine and I have used this in many missions.

Patch notes mentioned changes to the respawn system and new updates to lobby params:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Mission_Parameters

I checked the page above and I cannot figure out why does this no longer work. Any insight?

Below are related parts from description.ext.

class Params
{

class DayTime
       {
       //paramsArray[0]
               title = "Time Of Day";
               values[] = {0,9,4,19};
               texts[] = {"Night","Morning","Dawn","Sundown"};
               default = 4;
       };

class Respawns
       {
       //paramsArray[1]
               title = "Difficulty: # of respawns";
               values[] = {99,15,10,6,1};
               texts[] = {"Training mode (99)","Rookie (15)","Grunt (10)","Sergeant (6)","SFOD-D operator (1)"};
               default = 10;
       };

class Difficulty
       {
       //paramsArray[2]
               title = "Difficulty: additional enemies";
               values[] = {0,1,2};
               texts[] = {"None","Few","Some"};
               default = 0;
       };

};

// ** RESPAWN templates **

respawnTemplates [] = {"MenuPosition","EndMission", "Tickets","Counter"};

And my init.sqf

// Lobby params
_dayt = paramsArray select 0;
if (isServer) then { setDate [2035,6, 10, _dayt, 15]; };
_resp = paramsArray select 1; 
if (isServer) then { [west, _resp] call BIS_fnc_respawnTickets; };
_diff = paramsArray select 2; 
if (isServer) then { _start =  [_diff] call FNC_Stag_start; }; // Additional difficulty. 

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Update:

Looks like it isn't tickets, it is the 'Menuposition' parameter.

From patch notes:

Added: MenuPosition and MenuInventory respawn templates will now automatically respawn the player when he / she joins the game, letting him / her select a position and loadout.

Missed that from the first reading :/

I agree & voted.

I wonder if there is a way to add the respawnTemplate Menuposition after the mission init via script?

I tried:

respawnTemplates[] = {"Tickets","EndMission","Counter"}; // In the description.ext

And later to add

respawnTemplates = respawnTemplates + ["Menuposition"];

from a script but no luck.

No that won't work unfortunately.

The mission config file (description.ext) values can't be set or manipulated by scripting during the mission. Unless there is a specific command to do so.

Yes, respawnOnStart is forced on now (on dev branch even from second half of march on...) which is in no way acceptable. I don't know which problems are the reason for this obviously faulty decision - maybe respawnOnStart = 0 with MenuPosition produced huge problems - but this has to be changed quickly.

There are workarounds however: Placing a respawn-marker on the map in the editor that can be removed via

sleep XY;

deletemarker "respawn_YZ";

and a corresponding parameter in the game lobby gives you at least the possibility to play a mission with a playable Zeus. - The only flaw being that only the functionality of the respawn-marker is being removed, Zeus still cann see the respawn-marker in Zeus-view.

Overall it's a very annoying imperfection. (I've made a ticket for that myself a couple of weeks ago, take a look at my signature.)

Currently this 'feature' disables playable AI on mission start when using ALiVE as well - which is being looked into by the ALiVE developers, but probably wouldn't even be necessary if this limitation wasn't in place.

Yes, this is a bummer. I too have been using respawnOnStart = 0 with MenuPosition.

Forcing the respawn on start wouldn't be quite as annoying if it at least took my whole group/squad with me, but it doesn't even do that.

Seems as if it's always couple steps forward, one step back, isn't it? ;-P

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=18359

... might have also a simple workaround. Posted by d3nn16 on the feedback tracker.

Cannot test this atm. Can anyone confirm if this works in dedi?

1) add this in description.ext
allowFunctionsRecompile = 1;

2) add this to the init field of any unit/object you have in the mission
BIS_fnc_initRespawn = {true}

Yes, it should work this way.

Keep in mind though, allowFunctionsRecompile is a serious security risk. Do not release your mission to the public with it enabled. Host it on public server at your own risk. I wouldn't.

I fixed the issue today, respawnOnStart should be back in tomorrow's (or perhaps even today's) dev build update.

I strongly suggest to avoid using allowFunctionsRecompile = 1;, because it pretty much opens your mission to script kiddies.

I fixed the issue today, respawnOnStart should be back in tomorrow's (or perhaps even today's) dev build update.

Yeah, awesome, thanks!

That's great, thanks for the fix and heads up about the allowFunctionsRecompile. I'll wait before publishing the mission.