Sign in to follow this  
Foonslice

Losing tem members in singleplayer

If you lose men in the campaign, do you recieve less in the ones afterwards. I didn't think that this was a feature, but during the mission where you have to capture the base, I lost a couple o guys. In the next mission (counterattack) I had less to work with. I lost a couple here as well, and in the next missio I noticed I was a couple men down too.

I haven't noticed this being mentioned as a feature of the game so is it just a conincidence that the game is giving me less and less soldiers per mission?

you got it,you have to protect them,the only way to prevent this is at the beginning of every mission send them to some nice safe cozy spot and do the mission yerself.

OK, but how important is it to keep each and everyone alive?

As an example, I have lost about six men and I am not even halfway through the Resistance campaign. Is it possible to win then or should I revert?

I ask this question mostly because I don't like the idea of reaching the final missions without any possibility of succeeding. That would force me to play it all over again. AND even if OPFP is the most replayable game ever, a mission is always the best to play the first time.

So, how many casualities can one accept?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gneed @ Aug. 06 2002,09:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OK, but how important is it to keep each and everyone alive?

As an example, I have lost about six men and I am not even halfway through the Resistance campaign. Is it possible to win then or should I revert?<span id='postcolor'>

Chance is you will receive some reinforcements - but they will be untrained, compared to the veterans that stayed alive with you all the time.

So it is like Ghost Recon then.

With the exception that the Ghosts happen to be elite soldiers (who for some mysterious reason have not learned anything during their training and hence behave utterly stupid in combat).

It makes more sence that regular citizens of Nogova needs some military experience to become proper soldiers.

Untrained reinforcements? Wow, so does that mean that your surviving men from each mission actually increase in skill as the campaign progresses. I've got a medic who can only carry one weapon so I made him a sniper. So far he's been kept alive throughout the whole campaign and he's been quite a big help so far. It this because his skill is actually increasing!

Yepp, that's the way it is meant to be. You can estimate the skill of your squad members by the ratings next to their name (something like Recruit, Veteran, Expert a.s.o.).

But, if I remember correct, I got no more reinforcements in the last four or five missions...

you can do it 3 ways.meaning ive played thru ofpcwc,red hammer and resistance 3 diff ways. 1 protect my men but still some die and still win.2 let all my men die and still win[this obviously takes a lot longer to finish the game].and 3 tell all yer men to go hide someplace safe while i do the mission myself [again this obviously takes a lot longer to finish the game]some of missions have lasted going well on 5 hours.

All of my team members are experts. I suck at commanding, so I get them killed all the time and have to either try again from last saving point or just delete the save file a lot.. biggrin.gif

In Field Exercise,it should not be that much of a problem, but right now I am hiding in one of the buildings in the middle of the town, with 2 RPG rounds and 4 AK clips. Tried using the radio and then commanding 3 tanks with full crew to attack, and I must say: Ouch, very ouch! Like the chicken I am, I was laying down on the balcony, popping an enemy every now and then (until the last remaining enemy tank spotted me, that is).

Anyway, I appreciate the fact that my group gets more experience by every mission, it adds a lot to the campaign. I just need to improve my leadershit.. uh.. ship skills.

I was a good leader. I had 12 men throughout the campaign (took them with me), all with RPGs or MGs, with pistols, binocs, and NVGs. I usually did 6 MGs, 4 RPGs, and 2 snipers (the medics who couldn't carry anything). It was awesome, they were all experts and really good. The machine gunners could stop whole squads of rushing infantry, the RPGs could take care of any armour they sent at us, and the snipers could engage and pick of officers and machine gunners of squads very far away.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Foonslice @ Aug. 06 2002,16:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Untrained reinforcements? Wow, so does that mean that your surviving men from each mission actually increase in skill as the campaign progresses. I've got a medic who can only carry one weapon so I made him a sniper. So far he's been kept alive throughout the whole campaign and he's been quite a big help so far. It this because his skill is actually increasing!<span id='postcolor'>

Whoa, you got a Medic?? If I had a medic I would be golden, all I have is 3 Jaroslavs...

When playing First Strike, I had 2 medics. Lost one of them, so I will replay the last part.

This is good news for me as I am a great leader.

I rarely lost men in the original campaign, and I only play on veteran mode.

And I never just left men behind.  Always just used them in great strategy.  And I could think fast and order my men quickly.  In some missions with a complete group of 12 men, I didnt even need to fire off a shot.   My men took care of everything.  I just needed to keep an eye on the big picture and make sure they are in the right formation and in the right position.

I dont know why so many people hate leading.   It is what I am best at in OPF.