Sign in to follow this  
Juhansson

WorldTools export to Terrain Builder question.

Im trying to use world tools forest generator to make and import my forests to terrain builder. Problem is

1. The output seems to be like this:

"Object";1446.776;3087.514;0;38.000;

which TB intepretes as object;x;y;yaw;pitch and there is no value for roll and scale so they are become 0. How to include those?

2. yaw and pitch are random and i dont understand how to adjust the randomization.

Help.

I could try to code a shitty java program (the only p-language i know some of) to clean the output to what i want but i would rather not attempt that.

Oh dogs.

great i am on the same Work!

I have created a mask and generated a Forest.

My output is a file with :

"ca\plants2\tree\t_pinusn1s";4964.509;8343.2;0;191.000;

"ca\plants2\tree\t_pinusn1s";4966.275;8343.393;0;321.000;

"ca\plants2\tree\t_pinusn1s";4930.347;8341.4;0;330.000;

"ca\plants2\tree\t_pinusn1s";4932.332;8341.759;0;8.000;

"ca\plants2\tree\t_pinusn1s";4934.421;8341.477;0;308.000;

"ca\plants2\tree\t_pinusn1s";4936.885;8341.745;0;291.000;

"ca\plants2\tree\t_pinusn1s";4938.675;8341.49;0;237.000;

"ca\plants2\tree\t_pinusn1s";4942.636;8341.643;0;322.000;

"ca\plants2\tree\t_pinusn1s";4944.188;8341.27;0;252.000;

"ca\plants2\tree\t_pinusn1s";4946.7;8341.228;0;212.000;

"ca\plants2\tree\t_pinusn1s";4948.802;8341.898;0;248.000;

"ca\plants2\tree\t_pinusn1s";4950.951;8341.551;0;110.000;

I can´t import this on TB , the program gives me an error! :mad:

Do you have ca\ folder? Try without the path just the object name like: "t_pinusn1s";4950.951;8341.551;0;1 10.000;

that works for me, but if that doesnt work, maybe try arma 3 trees.

And you have to create a library that contains the objects you want to import. Also if you did the mapframe to 200000 easting thing, you have to add that much to every objects x position, you import for them to be at correct position. And with that import everything will be of scale 0.

yes i see this with the path to ca folder.

I've tried the "t_pinusn1s";4950.951;8341.551;0;1 10.000; and nothing....

I created the library and loaded all the items, i think my problem is with 200000 easting. :)

Now I just have to figure out how I can change this when i create the forest with World Tools.

With the arrival of Terrain Builder, things have changed a little on the Import files format front.

The import file now contains more parameters - which is why old-style Visitor 3 import files - and the basic "Raw Output" from World Tools no longer works...

I believe someone was planning on coding a small utility to convert "old" import files into "new" - though I haven't seen a formal, public release for that so far...

Meantime - here's a basic rundown of the differences between Old and New, and how to mash one format into the other in a form TB won't spit out like a Bad Taste....

For this method, you'll need a decent text editor like Notepad++ and a Spreadsheet program - like Microsoft Excel...

Firstly, the differences in file content....

Old Visitor Import File Format...

<Path to object and/or object name><position_X><position_Y><Relative_height><Rotation>

New Terrain Builder Import File Format

<Object_name><position_X><position_Y><Yaw(rotation)><Pitch><Roll><Scale><Relative_height>

A few things to notice....

* Old Visitor format contained no "Scale" info

* Old Visitor format contained no "Pitch" or "Roll" info

* Old Visitor format accepted "path\name" or "name" - depending on how the object was named in the Visitor object lists.

Since old Visitor 3 format didn't include scale information - World Tools output doesn't include any... The old method to randomise the sizes of wild vegetation, etc was to set randomisation parameters for each object in Visitor, then, as you import, each placed item is randomised according to the parameters you set for that class of objects...

So how do you convert from one to the other?

Well - for now... manually :(

This isn't as tricky as it sounds, though you need to be careful, and extremely large files (million+ objects) can take a few minutes...

First thing you need to do is get rid of the Paths in the Object Names parameter - if present...

This can be done pretty easily in eg: Notepad++... Just Search for the different "ca\plants2\tree\" text blocks and Replace them with - nothing...

Once you're done with that, next step is to import your Import File into Excel... (Can't remember exactly how I did this... "Basic Textfile Import or something).

Once you have your file in Excel, you'll have a column for each parameter...

First thing to do is to add that 200000 offset to the "Easting position coordinate"...

To add an offset in Excel...

* Type your offset value in an empty cell

* Select and "copy" it

* Select all of your target numbers column

* Then hit - Edit > Paste Special > Add

Next you have to rearrange the columns in the correct order as specified above.

Almost there...

Final step is to add in the "Missing columns" and fill them with either truly random numbers, or "dummy values"...

Here's a single example of how to do this...

* Create TWO new columns

* In the first empty column type "0.7+1.2*RAND()" (or whatever min/max values you want to use)

* You'll see a random number created in the cell

* Copy and paste this formula all the way down that column - the whole column will have random numbers

* NB * This formula will cause new numbers to be generated every time you do anything with the spreadsheet, so...

* Select the whole column > Copy > (select second empty column) > Paste Special > Values

This will copy the values - but not the formula - into your second column, which you can now assign to "Scale" and then delete the temporary formula column.

* I'd suggest that you simply fill the "Pitch" and "Roll" columns with Zeros "0" for now - you rarely want to mess with that anyway...

Export your doctored spreadsheet as a textfile with semicolon separators and you - should - have a fully functional Terrain Builder Import File.

Sounds like a bit of a fuss, but it's actually fairly straightforward and allows you to get on with things until such times as a dedicated utility program is publically released...

Have fun... ;)

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Thanks Bushlurker!

I try it Today.

I believe someone was planning on coding a small utility to convert "old" import files into "new" - though I haven't seen a formal, public release for that so far...

B

Wow this are great :D

Yup that excel approach sounds easy enough. I dont have excel though but i coded my own shitty converter. If i had the time and skill i'd try to make a good one with a UI.

I dont have excel though but i coded my own shitty converter. If i had the time and skill i'd try to make a good one with a UI.

Nice :yay:

Wow this are great

NeoArmageddon has published his handy little conversion tool!

It will add your offsets and allow you to enter simple values for all the randomisation parameters as well - works nicely...

Full instructions and download HERE at the new armamapmaking.info site...

Remember to thank NeoArmageddon next time you see him around! ;)

B

Remember to thank NeoArmageddon next time you see him around! ;)B

No need to thank me. I wrote it for myself as exercise for my C-programmin exam and as tool for my island. I am glad this tool can also be a help for the general map making folks :D

Please keep in mind: While I wrote this tool the randomization was not working in TB. The randomization parameter can now also be directly entered in the TB library. I am not sure if TB then just ignores the import values.

WOW! :bounce3:

Thanks Bushlurker!

Many thanks you NeoArmageddon for this great Tool, working perfect.

(Vielen Dank NeoArmageddon)

Hi, the download link is down. I plan on populating my maps forests with good ole world tools to begin with, so I would appreciate the tool. Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind found it

Edited by DigitalCenturion