Sign in to follow this  
Dunaden Shadow-Thane

Spss: adapting objects.sav for editing?

I have an old student version of SPSS handy here so I loaded it up (wow, actually using something from my school days!wink.gif.

Anyway, I can get it to recognize the file, BUT I do not know how to get the program to interpret the file's parameters.

Does anyone know how to get it to open in SPSS? Which are the correct inputs?

I only just started playing the game and I doubt I'll need to edit it. BUT, it would be a LOT of fun to keep in plenty of G36 and M21 ammo biggrin.gif And using a T80 to stop a convoy never hurt, either. wink.gif

Dunno, wouldnt that be cheating? I mean the you wouldnt have to capture weapons anymore. Takes a part of the fun and challenge out of it.

What fun and challenge? I am rolling through this campaign. Yeah, TONS of fun to play through the mission and kill EVERYONE and then go back for 30 minutes driving around picking up weapons and dumping them in a vehicle?

I like the idea behind having to keep my guys supplied. But it is a waste of my time to run around grabbing everything.

Cheating? No. Keep me from finding the one reason NOT to like the campaign? Yes.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dunaden Shadow-Thane @ Sep. 15 2002,17:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyway, I can get it to recognize the file, BUT I do not know how to get the program to interpret the file's parameters.<span id='postcolor'>

I doubt that the SPSS .sav format and the OFP .sav files have anything in common but the name (like .doc does NOT always mean a file is a MS Word documents). The needs of what a statistical data analysis package like SPSS has to save in its databases (the .sav files) and what OFP needs to store to its game save files are just too different. I'm sure there are much more convenient data structures for game developers to use than this.

With 'recognize the file' you mean it to show up in the open database menu? That doesn't check for the right data structure, but only for the extension name (i.e. '.sav'). So just because you see it there (maybe even with the SPSS icon) doesn't mean it really IS an SPSS data file.

'.sav' is a name extension used by most games to name its save files, and is also used by many other applications. Windows habit of using the extension to define the type (i.e. data structure) of a file fails if if many different applications use the same name tag for completely different kinds of data.

Anyways, I got SPSS 11 at home, so I could give it a try - but I doubt anything will result from this.

Edit: I think you might have more luck trying to work the .sav files with a hex editor. Using SPSS is (at best) like using a 'Daisy Cutter' to mow your lawn and most likely just impossible. Search the forum, I'm sure there is an old thread about changing values in the save files.

In the famours words of Sir Homer Simpsons, "D'oh!" tounge.gif

You're right, I went through a few of my game directories and found that the .sav files are now represented by SPSS icons. Good call.

But I do have a few hex editors that I can try my hand at. Maybe I'll come up with something, but first I'll try panning through the message boards. Thanks! biggrin.gif

Hmm, nothing turned up for me in the search after using many different terms and reading through the vast majority of them anyway. Never hurts to learn new stuff.

Ok, I got my hex editor to open the file without issue. Has anyone else gone into it? Can anyone tell me which codes represent what?

most lines are similar to this under the Weaponcargo on the Ural I brought in last time...

;.....kItem37....."i..;

Others, a very few, read...

;.....sItem45....."tSVDDragunov...;

there are not enough with names weapons to represent ALL the weapons I have snagged so far in the 1st 3 missions.

A pair of Bizons, plenty of assorted AK74s and AK47s, RPG launchers, PKs, Tokarevs, and all sorts of ammo and grenades.

I am no amateur at the game, trust me. I can roll through all the Flashpoint and Red Hammer missions like candy. And am enjoying learning the new Resistance missions too! But spending all the time I do to get through unscathed and with my guys alive eats a lot of time. Then to spend from 20 minutes to an hour running around picking up guns then putting them on the truck, car, or ammo crate gets OLD. Especially forever having to scroll to the bottom of the list to put an item in the vehicle.

My original post mentioned tossing G36s and T80s in for shits and giggles, but that is after I beat the campaign. For now I'd like to be able to roll through and not waste my limited free time (yeah I work 50+ hours/week and do jobs on the side - no free college life anymore) running around doing "nothing".

I understand that its supposed to bring an added level to the game and to bring more depth and reality to the experience.... and that is cool. But quite frankly, I started the campaign yesterday and the day before for a total of 5 hours and got through the Scrap mission and am really annoyed by having to do this.

So again I ask, who knows how to hexedit the objects.sav file to add ammo?

Honestly, so far I am in no fear of running out of ammo. I am very deadly accurate with my RPG aim as well as many of the different rifles (though pistols are new to me). So I am sparing on ammo. I also usually keep my squad well behind me set on hold fire until/unless I need them to make a distraction for me.

I'd love to be able to just sit down and play a mission for love of playing the mission. I read into the briefing for the next one taking the town and it sounds fun. I've got the T80, 3 T72s and the BMP that I stole from the previous mission as well as what looks like a spare T72. Should be phun! But I don't look forward to the aftermath of what looks to be a LARGE battle and running around to each corpse grabbing ammo. Big BIG deterrant to the game for me. I get up at 5 and don't intend to be awake until 1 again because I need to run around packing my lunch box full of PKs and BS.

Maybe tonight I'll start playing with a copy of the file. Think it might induce FADE? Ah well, if it does I have backup copies of everything and I doubt it would erase or mess with my 350+ megs of addon .pbo's

But if anyone has attempted this before I'd like to hear from you, even if you weren't successful.

Also - anyone else experienced in hex editing is welcome to try too. I only know to keep changing different values and checking for a result. And that could take a LONG time....