Sign in to follow this  
jens198

Mapframe problem with coordinates / UTM Zone

Hi guys,

I'm at the first step of the tutorial, I add a new mapframe to my projects. I have problem with the mapframe properties dialog: The cartesian coordinates for my SW-corner are 596397.39 Easting and 4184008.98 Northing. The UTM Zone is 16S.

Google Earth confirms, that my data is ok

2_zps24788f1d.jpg

When I add the first mapframe I enter 16S for the UTM Zone, but Terrain Builder won't accept my coordinates (e.g. 596397.39 > 335000).

Image2_zps1a900086.jpg

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

Jens

When you first open Terrain Builder. Go to Mapframe > Add Mapframe. It will say 31 N or something like that. Leave that and hit Ok. When you add things in set them to Easting: 200000 and Northing 0. The location of your real world place doesn't matter. The corner of the mapframe you use for your project has to have its bottom left corner at 200000 for roads to line up correctly.

When you first open Terrain Builder. Go to Mapframe > Add Mapframe. It will say 31 N or something like that. Leave that and hit Ok. When you add things in set them to Easting: 200000 and Northing 0. The location of your real world place doesn't matter. The corner of the mapframe you use for your project has to have its bottom left corner at 200000 for roads to line up correctly.

Surely the location matters? Shouldn't it affect the trajectory of the sun in the sky?

well, I tried it with Jakerod's hint. Currently I'm at the point where the machine generates the GRID v4w file. Seems to take a lot of time?

Jens

Surely the location matters? Shouldn't it affect the trajectory of the sun in the sky?

The location in regards to what your talking about is set in the main island config.

The reason the map frame is set to 200000e and 0n is because there is no 0e in utm. So it was easier to start at 200000

well, I tried it with Jakerod's hint. Currently I'm at the point where the machine generates the GRID v4w file. Seems to take a lot of time?

Jens

Hm, it's nearly 4 hours and I can't see any progress. Any projections how long this should take for a 20x20 km map?

Hmm maybe froze. I imported a 28k terrain. Are you talking about the import of your sat/mask /normal layers?

My suggestion would be to save those out as tiff files or bmp. They load quicker.

Hmm maybe froze. I imported a 28k terrain. Are you talking about the import of your sat/mask /normal layers?

My suggestion would be to save those out as tiff files or bmp. They load quicker.

Import works fine (even with png-files). But TB crashes when I'm creating the layers. It freezes when it writes the *.v4w (GRID) file??

Jens

It freezes when it writes the *.v4w (GRID) file??

If it's a big map, try leaving it overnight.... ;)

My 51km 40960 sat layer test map took 9 hours to process the .paa's - including the v4w GRID file...

Looked for all the world like it was frozen, were it not for the trickle cpu and disc access usage I noticed in TaskManager... which is why I just left it alone, and - it finished successfully - eventually...

B

Ah good to hear Bushlurker. I'll give it a try tonight..

Jens

I have a problem my xyz file from global mapper have the georeference location (28º) and its imposible to import to terrain builder

Anyway to change this or solve this? i try to change the location with global mapper and put 31º but not work :(

b0n7.jpg

Thanks

I have a problem my xyz file from global mapper have the georeference location (28º) and its imposible to import to terrain builder

Anyway to change this or solve this? i try to change the location with global mapper and put 31º but not work :(

http://imageshack.com/a/img541/6932/b0n7.jpg

Thanks

Is there a ".prj" file along side your ".xyz" file? If so, remove it and try importing again.

The other way to solve it is to make sure both the:

• Datum, and,
  • Projection

Are set exactly the same in both Global Mapper and Terrain Builder. The "datum" should be WGS-84, and the Projection should be "UTM Zone ...".

Keep in mind that Arma 3 assumes that the in-game coordinate (0, 0) is at (0N 200000E) in Terrain Builder. If you use another map frame origin you will have issues with road placement.

http://imageshack.com/a/img541/6932/b0n7.jpg

Thanks

Hola paisano

Un truco seria ir a Mapfranes pulsar Add mapfranes seleccionar una proyección UTM pulsar OK , se abrirá la Mapfranes properties le danos a cancelar directamente, y ya deja importar el XYZ, luego se puede borrar el DefaultMapFrane_1 que se a creado en la pestaña Mapframe

Hello

A serious trick to go to Mapfranes to press Add mapfranes to select a projection UTM to press OK, the Mapfranes properties will open up him damages to cancel directly, and it already allows to care the XYZ, then it can fade the DefaultMapFrane_1 that you had created in the lash Mapframe

I have this exact same problem, how did you fix it?

If you're talking about the error GreenBeret posted about, I think his error is not having added a mapframe yet.

Try following steps 2 to 10 of the tutorial I linked and see if that works. Make sure your terrain doesn't have a georeference if you want to make things easy on yourself.

http://wiki.armamapmaking.info/arma3:terrainbuilder:resources:quick_terrain_builder_tutorial

If you're talking about the error GreenBeret posted about, I think his error is not having added a mapframe yet.

Try following steps 2 to 10 of the tutorial I linked and see if that works. Make sure your terrain doesn't have a georeference if you want to make things easy on yourself.

http://wiki.armamapmaking.info/arma3:terrainbuilder:resources:quick_terrain_builder_tutorial

Thanks for your advice! I fixed it by importing my heightmap in L3DT and exporting it again without georeference.