Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

Bench press or chest fly?

I'm trying to build up my chest, cause iv got this bare spot right over my breast bone where theres no flesh (got eaten away when i had an intestonal parasite). So which excercise would build the most muscle in the most efficient way for that area?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zverushka @ Sep. 11 2002,22:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ewwwww... intestinal parasite !!!  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I second that wow.gif Tell us more wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Sep. 11 2002,13:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zverushka @ Sep. 11 2002,22:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ewwwww... intestinal parasite !!!  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I second that  wow.gif  Tell us more  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I got it from eating things like junk food and animal products!!! tounge.gif  tounge.gif  tounge.gif

C'mon, i'd like an answer please! mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 11 2002,13:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bench press for bulking up, pushups for toning<span id='postcolor'>

Much thank yous!! smile.gif

Well, I suggest you do both, for building up muscle pick resistance that only allows you to do about 10 reps.

(bulking up is mostly unhealthy, but looks good)

buy yourself a heavy boxing-bag that you can connect to floor and roof. Every other excercise usually just blows up your muscles for a week or shortens the muscle (like those artists in the circus, is ugly), you gotta tell you entire body to you need new muscles otherwise it wont activate a long-term growth!   smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Sep. 11 2002,23:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">buy yourself a heavy boxing-bag that you can connect to floor and roof. Every other excercise usually just blows up your muscles for a week or shortens the muscle (like those artists in the circus, is ugly), you gotta tell you entire body to you need new muscles otherwise it wont active a long-term growth!   smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I vote for dumbbels becuse you work evry muscle separate.

2 sets and work very slow. You will se result in no time.

Iv been having pretty good success with 25 rep sets on 50 lbs. On a good day i can get out about 200 reps total. Thats not including the 80-120 reps chestfly i do before that. We've got a blowflex here, so thats been coming in pretty handy. I was just wondering what would help push muscle over more towards the center.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Sep. 11 2002,14:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't forget to enter the Strongest Man competition when you are done bulking up!  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Uhhhhhh, yeah, those guys could kick about 145 of my asses, no problem.

I know this college student at my church whos real buff and I asked him how he got so buff and he says what you need to do is set up a schedule. Dont say like "oh well im not going to work out this week. Ill just double it next." He told me thats the wrong way to go. He says work out about 2-3 times a week or just pick something that works out with you and that you like.

get an addon for your chest. kegetys? tounge.gif

i'd say follow Tex's advice.

i'm really out of shape..why did i bother answering? biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ Sep. 11 2002,14:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm trying to build up my chest, cause iv got this bare spot right over my breast bone where theres no flesh (got eaten away when i had an intestonal parasite). So which excercise would build the most muscle in the most efficient way for that area?<span id='postcolor'>

When you say no flesh, do you mean that the muscle is gone underneith? If that's the case then you can't build what isn't there.

As for excersises bench and flys work the muscle differently. The press is a good mass builder and works more of the outer area of the muscle. The wider your hands the further out you work the muscle and less tricept is used. I usually use a grip that is just wider than my shoulders. when you bring the bar down it should rest ontop of your nipples, then push up in an arch so that the bar is a little higher up, ulmost over your neck.

Flys work the inner part of the muscle and help give you 'cleavage'. You don't use your tri's at all so it really is a great finisher for the chest. Make sure you keep a slight bend in your elbow to help with the stress of the movement and go down till you feel a streach.

As for reps you want to keep your movements to around 10-12 reps so you are working the muscle for 30-40sec per set. then rest. This is the best way to build strength and mass IMHO.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Sep. 11 2002,15:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I know this college student at my church whos real buff and I asked him how he got so buff and he says what you need to do is set up a schedule. Dont say like "oh well im not going to work out this week. Ill just double it next." He told me thats the wrong way to go. He says work out about 2-3 times a week or just pick something that works out with you and that you like.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, i'm usually at it every other two days if not every other day. I'm getting there smile.gif

I would reccomend you do at least something every day. Also, a high protein diet is conducive to building muscle (eat the meat goddam you tounge.gif )

Myself, because I cant get to a gym too often any more, try to do at least 100 pushups a day another hundred or so sit ups, and Im working on finding a place in my house to put in a pull up bar.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 11 2002,20:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would reccomend you do at least something every day. Also, a high protein diet is conducive to building muscle (eat the meat goddam you  tounge.gif )<span id='postcolor'>

Lol! biggrin.gif  tounge.gif

Well, iv been advised by professional trainers to put AT LEAST a day between each of your workouts. As for protien, lets see here....Tofu (tons of it!! ), broccoli, beans, brown rice, rice and beans together, peanuts, peanut butter, fortified soymilk, sprouted wheat bread, Gardenburgers (which have 15 grams per burger, and i eat about 3 at a time), other assorted nuts and seeds. Trust me man, iv got the protien tounge.gif

You should rest at least a day or two between working out a body part (like your chest as you were asking). Myself I workout a schedual of 3 on 1 off. I do legs 1 day, chest/back the next, then shoulder arms the last day. Rest 1 day and do it again. I'm not looking to bulk up to much more so I'm focusing on strength and muscle endurance ( I do around 12-15 reps per set). The amin thing is to find something and stick with it for a few months and you'll learn as you go. How old are you? if you are still in your teens like I remember then I suggest that you don't worry too much about bulking up. Your still growing.

COLINMAN

Yeah, im 17. Not too worried about bulking up too much, i just want to cover the area i spoke of.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ Sep. 12 2002,06:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, iv been advised by professional trainers to put AT LEAST a day between each of your workouts. As for protien, lets see here....Tofu (tons of it!! ), broccoli, beans, brown rice, rice and beans together, peanuts, peanut butter, fortified soymilk, sprouted wheat bread, Gardenburgers (which have 15 grams per burger, and i eat about 3 at a time), other assorted nuts and seeds. Trust me man, iv got the protien  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

hmmpf, professionals? sound like professional pansies to me. You aint gonna build any muscle by resting. That may be a good strategy for people who are serious lifters, but doing some pushups every day isnt gonna kill you or anything

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 11 2002,23:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ Sep. 12 2002,06:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, iv been advised by professional trainers to put AT LEAST a day between each of your workouts. As for protien, lets see here....Tofu (tons of it!! ), broccoli, beans, brown rice, rice and beans together, peanuts, peanut butter, fortified soymilk, sprouted wheat bread, Gardenburgers (which have 15 grams per burger, and i eat about 3 at a time), other assorted nuts and seeds. Trust me man, iv got the protien  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

hmmpf, professionals? sound like professional pansies to me. You aint gonna build any muscle by resting. That may be a good strategy for people who are serious lifters, but doing some pushups every day isnt gonna kill you or anything<span id='postcolor'>

Spoken like a true texan! tounge.gif

Well, are you sore at the end of the day after youve done all that? Cause if not, than it should be a pretty steady routine for you. I try to push myself a little farther every time i work out, and if iv done it right, i can totally feel it by the end of the day.