Sign in to follow this  
Viscount-Dean

New patch seems to have broken vsync and lowered performance.

I've just had the update, and unfortunately Arma 3 has gone from working perfectly to having serious problems for me.

The first problem is that the screen seems to be tearing whether I have vsync enabled or not. The second is that my FPS has dropped by around 20 with exactly the same settings. I've tried the new HDAO and that doesn't seem to change anything. I get random FPS drops all the time, almost like the game is loading a new area, and then the FPS jumps back up again. All the while the screen is tearing, especially when looking at the floor.

Here are my system specs:-

I7 2600K @ 4.4ghz

2 x GTX 570 SLI

8GB Corsair XMS 3

Asus Xonar DG

Corsair HX850W PSU

Game is loading from a crucial M4 256gb SSD, and is running at 1920 x 1080. As mentioned, I haven't changed any settings or startup parameters since the patch dropped. Previously, I was getting a solid 60fps in singleplayer and around 40fps even on crowded servers. Now I am getting somewhere in the region of 30-50 fps in singleplayer and very variable FPS in multi (haven't tested this much). The screen tearing is also pretty unbearable tbh. I never had tearing before the patch whatever my FPS was.

It could be just a driver issue for SLI as I know the lighting engine has had some tweaks, but is anybody else experiencing problems of this nature since the patch dropped? It's just so weird, as the game was working perfectly this morning and this afternoon it seems to be borked completely.

Edited by Viscount-Dean

Maybe something simple.

Did you reboot the pc after downloading?

I'd say defrag too, but you got a ssd.

Looks like we're in the same boat, Dean. It's looking less likely that it has anything to do with my (or your) PC. I'll let you know if anything changes on my end. Good luck.

Vsync thing is odd.

Maybe try 'vsync half-refresh rate' thru nvidia control panel, with T-buffer on.

If it works, normal vsync/T-buff thru the cp will work too.

turn the vsync off! you dont need it and it has huge impacts on performance

There are people who do need vsync. I for one had awful screen tear when I first launched A3. The screen tearing is back for me with this new patch.

Just tried and must confirm vsync part (no performance changes though). I always play with vsync on because of mentioned tearing, it removes. It's annoying and it is back now (vSync enabled ofc).

EDIT:

To be precise vSync OFF and ON looks a bit different. OFF - as usual. ON - there is rather something like single, thin horizontal distortion strip visible, when I move view point vertically, regardless FPS, so also below 60. This strip is removed till game restart when I force nVidia Panel vSync even, if I next switch back control under Arma's control. But if I leave in nVidia panel this setting as forced and then restart Arma3 - strip is back until I switch off Panel's vSync - then issue is gone again. So helps switching the control, not control itself...

after more tests - it is ven not switching anything. Helps simple ALT+TAB and back...

Edited by Rydygier

can confirm performance downgrade (in scenario with 48+48ai) roughly 15-20% performance impact. This impact was introduced with old devbranch.

Got that distortion strip too.

Guess no vsync til it's fixed.

Vsync thing is odd.

Maybe try 'vsync half-refresh rate' thru nvidia control panel, with T-buffer on.

If it works, normal vsync/T-buff thru the cp will work too.

Triple Buffering in Nvidia Control Panel only affects OpenGL, not DirectX.

Just to let everyone know, I've tried the game with vsync "on" and triple buffering "on" in the Nvidia control panel, and this seems to be an effective fix. Performance certainly seems to improve too. I usually use gamebooster, but this seems to interfere with the settings in NVP, but without it seems to be pretty much back to normal.

I've noticed that a quick alt-tab does seem to mitigate the tearing, but i'm still getting erratic FPS in missions that have always given me a solid 60 up until the update. Also, a few of my favorite mods appear to now be broken so my friends and I will be staying with 1.08 until these issues get sorted. It's really not worth the aggravation.

Apparently i can not connect to ANY servers because they all say "Require 1.10"

Logout and exit steam and then Open Steam and it will update ARMA 3.

I've noticed that a quick alt-tab does seem to mitigate the tearing, but i'm still getting erratic FPS in missions that have always given me a solid 60 up until the update. Also, a few of my favorite mods appear to now be broken so my friends and I will be staying with 1.08 until these issues get sorted. It's really not worth the aggravation.

I think you're right, Invisibull. Are you using SLI by any chance? Just wondering whether it's a driver issue? If not, I guess we'll just have to wait for a hotfix etc. I've sent in a support ticket on this issue and will let you know what comes back.

Just to let everyone know, I've tried the game with vsync "on" and triple buffering "on" in the Nvidia control panel, and this seems to be an effective fix. Performance certainly seems to improve too. I usually use gamebooster, but this seems to interfere with the settings in NVP, but without it seems to be pretty much back to normal.

wrong thread

Edited by jiltedjock

I think you're right, Invisibull. Are you using SLI by any chance? Just wondering whether it's a driver issue? If not, I guess we'll just have to wait for a hotfix etc. I've sent in a support ticket on this issue and will let you know what comes back.

I've got a single Nvidia 780ti, and have actually rolled back the drivers by two increments (331.82 and 331.93) with no change whatsoever in performance or screen tearing. Judging by benchmark missions I use, I've probably lost about 10% of my FPS. Definitely a step back for me, though I have noticed some claiming noticeable increases.

Triple Buffering in Nvidia Control Panel only affects OpenGL, not DirectX.

Right, nvidia ought to make that clear in the cp notes.

A3 config does have the line:

tripleBuffering=1;

So i guess the engine does support t-buff.

It is also worth noting that Vsync combined with Frame Limiting in Nvidia CP is broken - deliberately - from 320.49 onwards. If you enable the frame limiter, vsync will be set to off (irrespective of what the CP setting is). One way around this is to use MSI Afterburner / RiviaTuner for the frame limiting (it uses a different method).