Sign in to follow this  
Spiderz

thermal blankets for prone stance.

So while watching or discussing military related things in the last few weeks, somebody mentioned to me that the taliban had this clever trick where they used those thermal space blankets to sleep to mask thermal presence, it might be total bollocks but it sounded plausible. Would be cool for balancing to add a thermal blanket on the scroll wheel while prone you could carry in your pack as an asset, this would allow you to hide from thermal cameras, adding some balance to the infantry/armor thing without totally destroying the functionality of the camera on your server for the sake of balancing.

you'd have to be prone, though... perhaps an option to hide/unhide your head? i guess thats wishful thinking, i mean look at the bipod situation.

~Z

It's not total bollocks but it does not work "on the fly" and is reasonable only at night. The space blanked has to be build up like a tarp and the body needs to have 20cm distance to it. This can be neglected for a combat game since this old trick is only valuable to prepare a bed for sleeping.

Modern uniforms mask thermal radiation quite well, I don't think a separate blanket is needed.

Modern uniforms mask thermal radiation quite well, I don't think a separate blanket is needed.
There is no thermal signature inhibition in 50/50 NiCo. If there was the wearer would have a serious hyperthermia problem in moderate and hot weather. The only thing thast is doen is a impregnation that does not reflect IR Ilumination... a feature that is natural to any dark fabric dye color anyway. Edited by Beagle

The only way to completely mask your thermal signature is to shield it with some sort of heavy fabric, with an air layer inbetween to serve as insulation, OR an active thermal camouflage system like CSAT uses.

Problem with that is that you only really can store so much heat, and you need to get rid of it at some point anyway (which is why the opfor soldiers have that heat exchanger on their backs, the coolant goes in and the heat is moved to the sink, which then slowly radiates it away. Result is that the thing glows bright as a christmas tree.

The ghillie suit seems to limit thermal signature better than standard uniform in game. Snipers doesn't stand out on TI like others when prone so the potential is already there.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

There is no thermal signature inhibition in 50/50 NiCo. If there was the wearer would have a serious hyperthermia problem in moderate and hot weather. The only thing thast is doen is a impregnation that does not reflect IR Ilumination... a feature that is natural to any dark fabric dye color anyway.

Sorry, I don't understand your post fully. 50/50 NiCo?

Could you elaborate please?

50% Nylon %50% Cotton (and 48% Nylon 52% Cotton as well as 40/60 and 65/35) the standard kind of fabric used today for combat Clothes. Abbreviations used are NiCo. NyCo, Polycotton etc.