Sign in to follow this  
MANTIA

Will be Setting up an Arma 3 Server soon (Questions)

Hello everyone. I'm pretty good with knowledge and troubleshooting of my own PC but admittedly have minimal knowledge of the network and server side of things.

I am going to be creating an Arma 3 server here soon for my Arma 3 group and have a few noobish questions if someone could please help me out with.

1. Difference between Dedicated Server & "Game Servers" on providers such as HFB and Vilayer?

2. What would you recommend for an Arma 3 group that is made up of 20 players and plans to host an ALiVE/MSO server in the near future?

3. Any other recommended options rather than HFB and Vilayer?

Well it all depends on your funding and your competence level.

DEDICATED SERVER

This is a complete box, hard drives, cpu, ram, network card, OOB management card. You can either buy one or rent one.

If you buy one and co-locate it, you have total control over everything, afterall its your box, you are just renting space,paying for bandwidth and power useage in a rack at a datacentre unless of course you have a good enough connection to host from home.

If you rent one, it will most likely come with a pre installed operating system, so you wont need to buy a license.

You will have to install and configure all the software

Renting X slots for a gaming server

Typically you will be renting some hard drive space and share the cpu and ram with others who are also renting space on the same "Dedicated server"

This is likely to be heavily managed by the hosting company and probably best suits you if this is your first time doing such things.

You would only have to worry about uploading missions and restarting the server once in a while. Typically these game packages also come with a teamspeak server.

You will have little control over configs, patching the game, and loading whatever addons you want. (You would have to speak to the hosting company about your specific requirements)

As far as hardware is concerned.

CPU: Fastest I7 / Xeon you can afford

Hard drives, if you dont need raid, then a single 500gb enterprise HD should be more than adequate for your needs

RAM: 8GB should be ample

GPU: Dedi servers dont run graphics so not required

Dedicated servers are accessed remotely via RDP login for windows or for Linux you would use an application called Putty

If renting space, the hosting company will most likely have a control panel for administering your server

I cannot recommend any hosting companies. We own our server and have it colocated at a datacentre

Terox, thanks a ton for the detailed answer!

What type of connection would I be needing if I build my own? I get around 9.5 Mbps Down and 3.75 Mbps Up.

Type of connection.

I think you will need asyncronous connection, eg same up and down speed. Not sure if your home connection will have enough upload

You would typically need 10MBps up and down

You will be using something in the region of 250-300KBs / player

so 3.75 MBps = 3840 KBs (Theoretically 12 players at a push)

On a more practical level, you would probably struggle to support 10

Any datacentre connection will be a minimum of 100MBps

This is just my guesswork. I only know 1 guy who runs a home server and he runs that on a 10Mbps line Up and down and he reckons he can support 15 players at most

nevermind ninja'd by Terox

Edited by SavageCDN
ninja

As far as hardware is concerned.

CPU: Fastest I7 / Xeon you can afford

Hard drives, if you dont need raid, then a single 500gb enterprise HD should be more than adequate for your needs

RAM: 8GB should be ample

GPU: Dedi servers dont run graphics so not required

Dedicated servers are accessed remotely via RDP login for windows or for Linux you would use an application called Putty

If renting space, the hosting company will most likely have a control panel for administering your server

I cannot recommend any hosting companies. We own our server and have it colocated at a datacentre

I have never run an ArmA 3 server before, so I'm just a little bit curious... but those server requirements, they sound very high? What kind of game server application is using 8GB ram? And requires that CPU? I have played on many servers with this kind of hardware and there is no difference compared playing on servers with much lower performance. Feels like it is more about running an optimized mission than a server with the latest hardware. Or I am wrong?

However, I don't play co-op missions, just Wasteland, so it could maybe be a diffrence between those two too. I guess AI's are pretty cpu heavy.

Edited by jagardaniel

Well he means 8GB total RAM obviously Windows and other applications will make use of some of this memory.. and you could run multiple servers.

Arma is all about CPU clock speed when it comes to the server so get the best CPU you can afford.... save some $$ don't bother with SSD drives unless you run a few servers on the same box.