Sign in to follow this  
Hawk4669

Scripting question

This is probably a very rudimentary question for you seasoned veterans, but this is my quandry:

I'd like to have a CH-47D continually take off from one base, land at another for roughly 2-3 minutes, take off again, and fly to the original base and land there for 2-3 minutes. After that cycle is complete....I want it to repeat over and over....

Not being well versed in scripting, what is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks much in advance!

Hawk

Okay well this may be rough around the edges but it works and it's a starting point. ;  Waypoints in order;

Move (to second base), Then a GetOut and GetIn right next to this.

Move wp (to first base), GetOut and GetIn next to this, followed by,

A Cycle waypoint right next to the first Move waypoint.  Now to get them to wait; a trigger at each end, sync with the GetIn wp and grouped with your helo.  Put the same time (in seconds) in each Min Mid Max.  As well click on Repeatively.   Sorry this is sounding very cluttered.  Now your pilots will get out and in of course, so if you don't want this, well.....      maybe they could do a vehicle check.

smile.gif

sorry just read your post again....you want this scripted. Perhaps you have already tried waypoints.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">sorry just read your post again....you want this scripted. Perhaps you have already tried waypoints<span id='postcolor'>

Nah i don't think so,

I guess, that's ok for him, isn't it?

It wouldn't make sense to use a script for that.

Only exception would be with ingame created choppers,

but i don't think they're relevant here.

One thing;

Instead of using triggers for their delay between travelling

around, you could use the timout fields in the wayoint's

effect menu's aswell.

Best you can do this by using the GetIn wayoints from

Bosun's example.

Set their Max/Min/Avg fields on exactly the amount of

seconds, you want the delay to be.

Max means the maximum time to wait

Min the minimum one

Avg the average time.

~S~ CD

Well son-of-a-bitch again..... last week l learn that there is a timeout and a countdown on the trigger times.

This week l learn that waypoints have timers...

Thanks again Chris Death...

biggrin.gif

I said scripting (my bad)....but will settle for anything that works.

Tried it with waypoints....but still not working correctly. It does fine on the initial trip (with the above listed layout), but on the return trip, the helo doesn't land....and doesn't repeat the order. sad.gif

Thank for trying though.

The search continues.

Hawk

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hawk4669 @ Aug. 29 2002,07:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ITried it with waypoints....but still not working correctly.  It does fine on the initial trip (with the above listed layout), but on the return trip, the helo doesn't land....and doesn't repeat the order. sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Start the chopper in the air, and place the first waypoint in between the bases, then add the waypoints for the route between the bases and after the ones for the second base place a cycle waypoint on the first WP. Should work fine.

Yes...they both should work.  I did test my method before handing it to you.  I started the helo on the ground but shouldn't make a difference.  Waypoints in this order;

Helo---------Move--GetOut-Getin-----------------Move-GetOut-GetIn-----------------Cycle

(next to first Move).   Make sure your cycle is buttup against the Move wp. Maybe try this without the timer to start with.

smile.gif

The problem Ive had with things like that is that the helicopter even with waypoints they need to wait at dont like to wait on the ground. They like to let peopl eout then take off and hover there for a while then go to their next waypoint. The way I fixed this is the crew have a Get out waypoint after transport unload and they get back in when I want them to fly again, simplistic yet it works particularly if it looks like their doing something like popping into a tent to get some coffee or driving a fuel truck upto their bird.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (You_looking_at_me? @ Aug. 29 2002,12:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The problem Ive had with things like that is that the helicopter even with waypoints they need to wait at dont like to wait on the ground. They like to let peopl eout then take off and hover there for a while then go to their next waypoint. The way I fixed this is the crew have a Get out waypoint after transport unload and they get back in when I want them to fly again, simplistic yet it works particularly if it looks like their doing something like popping into a tent to get some coffee or driving a fuel truck upto their bird.<span id='postcolor'>

Put a move waypoint near the one where the chopper is supposed to land - let him fly there with full speed, then - bit further ahead - put a second one with getout and slow speed. Chooper will come in and break, then descent straigt to where he is supposed to land. With a trigger on the second waypoint (radius maybe 100m) you can force him to get down by putting</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">heli1 flyinheight 1.5; heli1 land "get out";<span id='postcolor'> in the on-activation line. Heli1 is the name of the chopper you're using.

The chopper will touchdown and immediately fly away again, if you don't lock the waypoint with another trigger. If you put "land" instead of "get out" the chopper will land and shut down the engines. If you lock the wp it will wait hovering just above ground, so troops can enter or leave as you like. Of course the trigger used to unlock the wp should set flyinheight back to something sensible like 50-150 m.

If you want a demo of how this can be working check this. Simply extract the zip to your user/mpmissions directory and check it out in the MP editor.