Sign in to follow this  
Psilocybe

Armor

One thing in Arma, since forever, that has annoyed me is how easily Armored vehicles have such amazing sight. Now i know there are thermals and the likes, but when they charge into a dense town they should not be any where as aware as they are. Is the engine capable of limiting their 'sight' so to speak for such situations?

Of course I have, my issue is the AI controlling the tanks have TOO MUCH peripheral awareness, especially accentuated in an urban environment where infantry should have the upper hand with so many blind spots to exploit from many many concealable positions.

My question was is it possible to limit the AI's awareness when in armored vehicles. Are they forced to 'see' from the ports we would when controlling the vehicles in first person?

This is known as a bug. And now that you've pointed it out, I'll make a ticket and they'll fix it.

Vehicles only see you when you are in the field of view of one of the optics. Unlike infantry, they can't hear you sneaking up behind them.

Try placing a NATO tank and running around a building. You will be able to sidle right up and pee on his treads.

But the Marshall is glitched. It has unfair 360 degree vision.

Haven't tested the CSAT AFVs yet.

I think the problem is not 360* vision, but how much time is needed for tank to see you. It should be longer,especially if you are at his rear.

I think the problem is not 360* vision, but how much time is needed for tank to see you. It should be longer,especially if you are at his rear.

I think one problem might be that the guys inside the tank may still hear you...

(But I´m not sure about that)

I did notice that is not all tanks, some, as said above, you can walk up to and lean on if you like, then their are others with the 6th sense.

AFV crews cannot hear you footsteps, at least while the engine in running.

That would be incorrect. If they don't have line of sight, they will never see you. If they have line of sight, they'll see you right away. This is perfectly logical, given the ranges we're talking about.

Wheeled AFVs have glitchy 360 degree line of sight the way some A2 tanks did. Go vote on my ticket.

Tanks are actually blind in the direction they're not looking into at this point, at least in devbranch.

Even when they are in aware mode you can run around everywhere the crew isn't looking and snipe them off. Only the wheeled ones seem to have some weird ability to look through the walls of their vehicles at times.

Modern tanks use 360 degree sensors and cameras to give full 360 degree awareness in real life. Tanks are not blind contrary to false information people make up. Not to sure about Opfors tank, but this is standard on the Merkava.

In addition to this, you also have the commander scanning for threats to the vehicle.

If you stick your head out long enough at an armored vehicle, your doing it wrong.

Edited by ProGamer

Modern tanks use 360 degree sensors and cameras to give full 360 degree awareness in real life. Tanks are not blind contrary to false information people make up. Not to sure about Opfors tank, but this is standard on the Merkava.

In addition to this, you also have the commander scanning for threats to the vehicle.

If you stick your head out long enough at an armored vehicle, your doing it wrong.

Motion sensors are not implemented. Neither are all around cameras. AI should not have access to systems the player hasn't. Plus, the AI is -never- seen scanning around the vehicle. All turrets point in the same direction, always. Especially on the T-100 this is evident, because the commanders gun is so obvious. When the gunner looks one way, the commander looks that direction too, and never scans left or right.

You can stand directly behind a tank, and fire a rifle at it, and he will not begin to look around.

And even with all the modern sensors in the world, tank crew situational awareness still sucks.