Sign in to follow this  
Chocolate

Could we have destructible Shutters inside of houses?

Simple as the Title thread. You know those cute little blue shutters that are on all of the Altis and Stratis Greco houses? Yeah, can we shoot them a few times and have them 'open.' It doesn't have to be fancy, just disappear after like 5 rounds or something.

Why? Yes, I know you can shoot through them, as well as much of the building materials, but it would be nice to utilize buildings by 'opening' up more views/fields of fire.

Would be nice to have melee mode to break glass (like BF) and fragile objects, like shutters. Shooting out a shutter is a no-no in the real world as it would give your concealment and position away and waste precious ammo. Would also be nice to be able to push stuff to barricade doors, windows, gaps in walls etc. But I imagine that such things would be transient in the game - I suspect at some point, it would be lot of work for the engine to permanently keep track of every object moved here, there and everywhere in the Armaverse.

Edited by MissionCreep

Yeah, I'm aware that shooting shutters (to open them) would be ridiculous in real life. I was just suggesting a plausible work-around in the Armaverse since melee is never going to be in the game, and making shutters another action like doors would be grossly taxing I believe. (From a programming and implementation point of view.) Since you can break glass inside a house, I figure it wouldn't be too difficult to make shutters "do the same thing."

Simple as the Title thread. You know those cute little blue shutters that are on all of the Altis and Stratis Greco houses? Yeah, can we shoot them a few times and have them 'open.' It doesn't have to be fancy, just disappear after like 5 rounds or something.

Why? Yes, I know you can shoot through them, as well as much of the building materials, but it would be nice to utilize buildings by 'opening' up more views/fields of fire.

This is something I had in my wishlist on the Wishlist NO DISCUSSION page 213. Breakable windows, shudders, and doors via a melee/muzzle thump feature. It's already been covered in other threads but I can't remember which ones.

Apparrently this feature either can't happen because of the engine limitations or won't because of it was given up in exchange for something else... Now that's just what others have said, I don't know how true it is

Edited by Squirrel0311

Door simulation in Arma is terrible. All of them - metal, wooden, etc. - animated the same. And there's no open/close sounds for anything.

Also no anim for doors/shutters from a character's perspective. You can't hold your weapon / shoot while opening / closing. Ridiculous.

Door simulation in Arma is terrible. All of them - metal, wooden, etc. - animated the same. And there's no open/close sounds for anything.

Also no anim for doors/shutters from a character's perspective. You can't hold your weapon / shoot while opening / closing. Ridiculous.

Yeah but the animation part is more cosmetic so personally I don't want to see anymore animation until we get they get functionality part taken care of.

Being able to hipfire while opening a door would be nice. I really like the work Sakura Chan has done, changing the doors to operate by scroll wheel and eleminating the scroll menu. You scroll UP to OPEN, DOWN to CLOSE, and you can control how far you open and close the door! He's made some updates, check out his videos.

i would leave all windows shutterless and windowless. shooting from windows when im inside the house give me a lot of headaches, its like shooting thru two planks of wood; unfortunately those outside the window can shoot me fine.

Edited by Maffa

i would leave all windows shutterless and windowless. shooting from windows when im inside the house give me a lot of headaches, its like shooting two planks of wood; unfortunately those outside the window can shoot me fine.

Shooting through a window distorts bullet travel path. What you aim for, you wont hit. I get that. Thats realistic. And does it take 1 shot to destroy a window? No, it takes a clip. Which isn't realistic.

Shutters should go, imo. I don't think that will happen, unless someone makes a mod.

Yeah, I'm aware that shooting shutters (to open them) would be ridiculous in real life. I was just suggesting a plausible work-around in the Armaverse since melee is never going to be in the game, and making shutters another action like doors would be grossly taxing I believe. (From a programming and implementation point of view.) Since you can break glass inside a house, I figure it wouldn't be too difficult to make shutters "do the same thing."

I recall Arma2 had a melee mod, so its not out of the question. Someone also made an Arma3 mod in Alpha that allowed you to knock down/kill someone silently with a blow (eg by sneaking up behind them) I think the same mod included functionality to move/push/flip objects around Armasphere. So the question is "Will BI actually make these features available?". If the past is any indication, the answer seems to be "probably not". I suppose they have their own reasons (like conflicts with other features of the game or features of the engine or the catch-all of many issues on this forum - "Physx"). Would be interesting to know the reasoning for excluding these features which we know, in principle, can be applied to the game.

i would say until a reasonable way to deal with these beautiful but useless-next-to-harmful features we should get rid of them. We can do without them well enough and i can wait with a more stabler game.