Sign in to follow this  
krazikilla

CPU for Arma3

Soo, reopening this thread a bit :)

After long research i somehow think the i7 4770k for around 300€ is the better choice for ArmA3.

For now im in favor of buying following new:

- i7 4770k 300€

- Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 110€

- Corsair Hydro Series H100i watercooling 100€

to my consisting:

nvidia GTX 670 2GB

8GB 1600mhz RAM

Only thoughts i still have about the haswell thingy, they say its getting way hotter then i5 thingies. But i want to get the absolut best FPS for ArmA3 at a still quite affordable price.

Sooo as i still somehow also consider the i5 3570k also and overclock it to hell, i wonder from which thingy i would be able to get more MHZ and therefor more FPS for ArmA out?

the 100€ more for the 4770k doesnt bother me much if i gain at least a little bit more fps out of it.

You're better off going for an i5, I can't see the hyperthreading being worth the addition cost. If money really is no object, go for it i guess.

If you're overclocking you'll have to disable HT to get the highest clock rate anyway.

I'd do this if I were you:

- buy i5-4670k or i5-3570k instead of i7 (if the PC is especially dedicated to A3, but if you play other games like BF a lot too, i7 could be the best choice then)

- sell your 8GB 1600 MHz RAM

- replace that RAM with fast RAM, eg. 8GB 2133 MHz RAM, as the RAM clocks have been proven to be significant factor in A3 ingame FPS (see http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?166512-Arma-3-CPU-vs-RAM-performance-comparison-1600-2133-up-to-15-FPS-gain)

- OC the hell out of your CPU :cool:

- enjoy superb FPS (till you join some poorly maintained server lol)

I assume that you have the game (and OS) installed on SSD already, but if not, buy at least 128GB SSD too.

Edited by Ezcoo

- sell your 8GB 1600 MHz RAM

- replace that RAM with fast RAM, eg. 8GB 2133 MHz RAM, as the RAM clocks have been proven to be significant factor in A3 ingame FPS

Do you have a link to this? i'm rather interested.

yeah dasa´s thread was a nice find. I sold my 1600er, bought 2400er Patriots and overclocked it to 2666 with cl10 1t to get extra fps.

My 2500k is running at 4.8 Ghz on air. Haven't needed to change this cpu in the 2 years I have had it, and I doubt I will in the next two. In the same period I have gone from a 1.5GB gtx580 to a 4GB gtx 680

yeah dasa´s thread was a nice find. I sold my 1600er, bought 2400er Patriots and overclocked it to 2666 with cl10 1t to get extra fps.

Well that's interesting :p So some get remarkable boost from high-speed RAM while some not. Maybe his (apparently) hybrid SSHD disk caused it and having the game on SSD gives the same boost than faster RAM with HDD/SSHD?