Sign in to follow this  
ricogs400

Will A3 full release need new install or benefit from new install

I would like to know what happens at the time of the full release. I want to make sure I don't lose my configs for video and controls. Not worried about missions since the Steam workshop holds those.

1. When the full release is out, will it overwrite all of the current files, or only the ones that aren't up to date? My desktop icon still says Arma 3 Alpa

2. Would it be a benefit to reinstall the full game from scratch since everything has been constantly updated from alpha?

3. If I do an uninstall and reinstall, is there a file for my configs (video, controls, etc) that I can copy to replace after the new install so I don't have to reconfigure it all?

Thanks for any help

The game should update without any need to uninstall. It will just replace &/or add the needed files. To update the game to the beta you'll need to go into your steam library, right click on A3, click on properties, select the beta tab, then select the development build. That will update your game to the most current beta build. Once it updates you can play & check out the beta content.

Edited by David77

Thanks, I've been running on the Beta/dev build since it came out, I was just saying that my desktop icon never updated from saying Alpha.

There were some notes at the end of the latest sitrep that some might benefit from doing a full uninstall and reinstall and even reconfiguring the video settings from scratch. My performance is good now, but I'd always like to have the best possible. So if this would help everyone's performance, I would be willing to try it. If it's not much of a change, then I'll save the time.

Dont reinstall the game through steam, it wont change a thing.

Simply rename the relevant arma folders in your documents (These contain controls, presets and video settings)

The game will automatically update on Thursday hopefully around 9 am GMT+1. Then verify your game cache and defrag the HD. No need to mess around with your documents folder either.

Read the recommended actions from the Beta sitrep here : http://beta.arma3.com/sitrep-00025. Renaming or moving your game config files would be a good move if only just to copy back after as this potentially could change setting for the better of you have been tweaking.

Verify cache after the update and a defrag is recommended, oh and a reboot for good measure as my PC stays on 24/7 so always a good idea ;)

Dont reinstall the game through steam, it wont change a thing.

Simply rename the relevant arma folders in your documents (These contain controls, presets and video settings)

Like dale says, this is not needed since they changed the folder names in the Beta release, from Arma III Alpha to Arma III.

This should not change or need any kind of changes on full release :)