Sign in to follow this  
Yashamalu

Perhaps broken terrain rendering over long distance.

Last time I sniped player 700m away on top of a hill with my 12.7 in Wasteland, it is found that the terrain rendering is really glitched. I fired 4 shots on him after taking distance using rangefinder and nothing happened. At first I thought maybe it is the gun elevation that needs to be adjusted, but than I shot the wheels of a hunter near him and all 4 bullet hit perfectly. Later the player was seen floating 2 meters from the ground and my shots cannot get him. I finally got him when he tried to repair the hunter and it is using the same elevation so the guess would be that the top of the mountain is "missing" or being rendered transparent over long distance and my first 4 rounds hit the dirt in front of him as his body is behind the slope on the other side of the mountain.

A similar case would be that buildings on top of a mountain can be seen floating.

That's usually a problem with a terrain detail setting that's too low, but unfortunately it's controlled by the server. If it seems to happen in a specific location, you might take some screenshots and coordinates and make a ticket at the Feedback tracker to help BIS possibly fix it

Yep.. i hate feeling sniper as sniper with the ghillie suit while you arent..

Last time I sniped player 700m away on top of a hill with my 12.7 in Wasteland, it is found that the terrain rendering is really glitched. I fired 4 shots on him after taking distance using rangefinder and nothing happened. At first I thought maybe it is the gun elevation that needs to be adjusted, but than I shot the wheels of a hunter near him and all 4 bullet hit perfectly. Later the player was seen floating 2 meters from the ground and my shots cannot get him. I finally got him when he tried to repair the hunter and it is using the same elevation so the guess would be that the top of the mountain is "missing" or being rendered transparent over long distance and my first 4 rounds hit the dirt in front of him as his body is behind the slope on the other side of the mountain.

A similar case would be that buildings on top of a mountain can be seen floating.

I did notice for a while that distant hilltops often had a floating band of terrain objects (boulders, walls, bushes etc) where the terrain "should" be. Moving toward that area caused the terrain to "breath" up to those objects, so it seemed to be a LoD thing for terrain. Increasing the terrain detail to High solved that for me, at least for the visual distance setting I have currently. No noticeable FPS impact.

Yer this is a terrain setting being to low problem.