Sign in to follow this  
vani

New to modelling Inroduction/tutorial?

Ok so i'm brand spanking new to modelling really and i've been praticising with this "tutorial" http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Mondkalb%27s_Addon_Tutorial#Step_Three:_Create_the_model But it's fairly useless, the instructions are not well presented and i'm at a point where i can no longer continue because an image is missing(-.-').

I've had plenty of playing with o2 to my knowledge and i'm about to start looking at my first project of creating a humvee.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial to take me through the steps of creating a vehicle from scratch or any other kind of model from scratch to finished product?

Im in a similar boat but you just need to do lots and lots of research. There's plenty of info and tutorials both in this forum and on other sites. Downloading the sample models from arma is also useful to see how they are set up. Its a steep learning curve but I've so far found answers to most of my own questions through research. I havent tried vehicles yet. I've started simple with headgear, but I think there's an old operation flashpoint tutorial on vehicles which people seem to point to which is still relevant.

Edited by pomigit

Hmm...this might be to early a stage for you (if you're about to model a humvee), but I have a guide on setting up a P drive, blender and then importing to O2. This is for Arma 2 and was in the dayz community, but most of it still stands for A3 as well.

Not sure if I can link to another forum in here, but if you Google for 'shins arma 2 modeling tutorial' you will see all four parts.

Like you all said i'm finding everything out via my own research. I'm currently doing BSSERB's tutorials as they're very easy to follow for a beginner. I'm going to be learning maya soon so i figured using o2 for now would be a good starting point.

I have 1 question i havn't found an answer too yet however.

I havn't started textures yet but if i have a model (This goes for all 3d softwares) and a texture for that model. Say i want the same model but different textures on the model. Would i need to copy that model theirfore doubling the overall download size or can i simply create a new texture/s and have the same model listed as available in more than 2 texture? Something tells me this isn't possible and i'd need to do the former but just thought i'd check.

Dont need to recreate another 3d model with different textures.

If your textures are less than 10 or so, its easy enough to redefine the covering textures in the model.cfg and config.cpp.

Best to keep number of textures low. Most BIS stuff has 1 or 2 large textures.

Some ArmA3 choppers and tanks have 3

This controls it in each vehicle in the config.cpp

hiddenSelections[] = {"Camo1","Camo2"};
	hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"\a3\soft_f_beta\truck_01\data\truck_01_ext_01_co.paa","\a3\soft_f_beta\truck_01\data\truck_01_ext_02_co.paa"};

In the model.cfg (CfgModels bit) you just need to include the names;

sectionsInherit="";
	sections[]=
	{
		"Camo1",
		"Camo2",
		"box",
		"vrtule staticka",
		"vrtule blur",
		"light",
etc etc

In the actual 3d model, whatever faces the first textures cover, name them "Camo1", second texture, "Camo2" and so on.

Gnat;2500887']Dont need to recreate another 3d model with different textures.

If your textures are less than 10 or so' date=' its easy enough to redefine the covering textures in the model.cfg and config.cpp.

Best to keep number of textures low. Most BIS stuff has 1 or 2 large textures.

Some ArmA3 choppers and tanks have 3

This controls it in each vehicle in the config.cpp

hiddenSelections[] = {"Camo1","Camo2"};
	hiddenSelectionsTextures[] = {"\a3\soft_f_beta\truck_01\data\truck_01_ext_01_co.paa","\a3\soft_f_beta\truck_01\data\truck_01_ext_02_co.paa"};

In the model.cfg (CfgModels bit) you just need to include the names;

sectionsInherit="";
	sections[]=
	{
		"Camo1",
		"Camo2",
		"box",
		"vrtule staticka",
		"vrtule blur",
		"light",
etc etc

In the actual 3d model, whatever faces the first textures cover, name them "Camo1", second texture, "Camo2" and so on.[/quote']You goregous person you!

Just to confirm this does mean i can have a woodland texture, desert texture and urban texture without need to change the model.

You could also randomise the texture if you wanted as well using a script within your mod. This is what BI do for civilian road vehicles.