Sign in to follow this  
twisted

selectbestplaces reduces Altis to a very very slow slideshow

i've used this code a lot on Stratis, but when used on Altis my machine hangs while Arma3 calculates many things. usually i have around 50-72fps but when i run the code below i have to go make a cup of coffee and even then sometimes the game hasnt moved much. alt-tabbing shows about 24%cpu and over a gib of memory in use.

_buildings = selectBestPlaces [_townloc, _radius, "(1+forest) * (1+trees) * (1+hills) * (1-sea) * (1-houses)",4, 30];

hope this is of some help to you devs.

and by the way Altis is phenomenal, very well done.

I have the same effect when trying to find house or building positions nearby with - nearestBuilding or nearestobjects commands. oddly enough, yesterdays dev build I was able to at least able to get it to load 4 out of 35 times (granted it took about 5-15 min) but today it does nothing at all. there is also another thread in the editing/scripting section on this topic. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162497-Script-course-game-to-crash-ONLY-on-altis

Sorry for bumping dead thread,    :D

but is this still an issue ?

I use selectBestPlaces just fine.

Ensure the search grid is big enough and you won't have too much lag. It is an intensive command whichever way you use it, but only noticeably when you use really small search grids.