Sign in to follow this  
NordKindchen

Possibilty to render out height maps/Z-buffer or sth similar

Is there a possiblity to get the height out of the game?

I am doing a retexture of the whole island with 16times more resolution. It would be a huge timesaver to have the height of the map so I can better adjust the different textures on the terrain.

In the worst case I would have to take the heights out of the games map but as you can imagine they are not that resoluted=/

Any help?

Thanks and Greetz!

Hi NordKindchen,

a few months ago i extracted chernarus highfield data (for visualisation).

You need the following tools:

https://dev-heaven.net/attachments/download/20882/DePbo4.11.rar (dll)

https://dev-heaven.net/attachments/download/20955/ExportXYZ1.52.0.3.Installer.exe

Install the tools.

Extract Stratis.wrp from map_stratis.pbo as usual.

Then use ExportXYZ to convert the .wrp to xyz.

Then you have xyz data like this:

0.00 0.00 -142.91

32.00 0.00 -143.09

64.00 0.00 -141.91

96.00 0.00 -141.41

128.00 0.00 -140.90

160.00 0.00 -140.94

192.00 0.00 -141.13

224.00 0.00 -141.06

256.00 0.00 -140.87

288.00 0.00 -140.93

320.00 0.00 -141.30

352.00 0.00 -142.28

384.00 0.00 -143.22

416.00 0.00 -144.46

448.00 0.00 -145.02

480.00 0.00 -145.16

512.00 0.00 -145.16

In fact that resolution is pure. If you need 16/32bit, than you can use this tool:

https://dev-heaven.net/attachments/download/20937/ConvertWrp1.73a.Installer.exe

to make a 8WVR.wrp file which contain the elevations in 32 bit.

But it is tricky to extract, there is a 24 byte header before the data, see:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Wrp_File_Format_-_8WVR

Hope it helps you.

Regards,

Fred41

Is there a possiblity to get the height out of the game?

I am doing a retexture of the whole island with 16times more resolution. It would be a huge timesaver to have the height of the map so I can better adjust the different textures on the terrain.

In the worst case I would have to take the heights out of the games map but as you can imagine they are not that resoluted=/

Any help?

Thanks and Greetz!

Edited by Fred41

Hey thanks for your fast answer!

To be honest I am completely new to this theme.

But from what I read in your comment it seems after the procedure I will have a file to use for 3d? Because I am looking for an easy way to get the heights of the map as an image to lay over my Photoshop files so I can better follow the form of the terrain with the texture.

Mh...is there any possibilty someone could render me the heights? Like a military map would do it.

As I said - I am making a midrange replacement addon. I think there are many people with potential interest in it. Maybe even you?

Here is an example of how much more detail is possible to put into the map.

And here is an example of how the final product MAY look like compared to the vanilla one.

As I said - if I had height maps it work speed up the work a lot and make the final product much more fitting to the ground since by now I have to go back into the game all the time to check wether the textures lay right. That takes 5 minutes each time.

I would really appreciate if someone could deliever me such a map - or a tutorial for it since I am sure at the moment I am not able to use the programs you listed so gently for me.

Thank you for your help

Best regards!

... yes, i know your work (voted up already in IT) ...

If you want a image (highmap) may be grayscale or colored from the Stratis_8WVR.wrp (see my first post for how to generate),

than you can use L3DT:

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/downloads/

1. Rename your stratis_8WVR.wrp to stratis_8WVR.r32.

2. In L3DT, use import -> Highfield -> Select stratis_8WVR.r32 ->

3. make shure the import options are: 32bit floating point (metres); headerSize = 24; width*height = 2048*2048

4. Import the file...

Then use all the abilities of L3DT to view/generate/export what ever you want (2d, 3D).

Good Luck,

Fred41 :)

BTW: your linked images looks really nice.

Hey thanks for your fast answer!

To be honest I am completely new to this theme.

But from what I read in your comment it seems after the procedure I will have a file to use for 3d? Because I am looking for an easy way to get the heights of the map as an image to lay over my Photoshop files so I can better follow the form of the terrain with the texture.

Mh...is there any possibilty someone could render me the heights? Like a military map would do it.

As I said - I am making a midrange replacement addon. I think there are many people with potential interest in it. Maybe even you?

Here is an example of how much more detail is possible to put into the map.

And here is an example of how the final product MAY look like compared to the vanilla one.

As I said - if I had height maps it work speed up the work a lot and make the final product much more fitting to the ground since by now I have to go back into the game all the time to check wether the textures lay right. That takes 5 minutes each time.

I would really appreciate if someone could deliever me such a map - or a tutorial for it since I am sure at the moment I am not able to use the programs you listed so gently for me.

Thank you for your help

Best regards!

Edited by Fred41

I wonder how difficult it would be to use getTerrainHeightASL and copyToClipBoard for the entire map? i guess if you did it efficiently and in small parts or sections you could do it without running out of ram. then you could pre- round to any value you like...

Too much effort when we got Mikero :-)

First download THIS. Then, unpack map_altis, copy convertwrp and most current pbo.dll to that directory, and enter in commandline: convertwrp altis.wrp 60.

Then execute THIS on altis.pew (choose to export xyz or asc) and open the resulting file with any GIS program you like (QGIS for example is free).