Sign in to follow this  
GenPattonX

Sounds from ICP and RHS tanks don't fade with distance, is it possible to edit this?

Thread title is pretty much self explainatory, i have downloaded ICP and RHS tank pack but once i noticed that i could hear a T72 from across the Nogova island i got disappointed. It's ridiculous, i can't use them in any mission if i can't change that. So i would like to know if its possible to change the sound range or whatever from a vehicle.

I have unpbo the icp_t72 pbo file to get acess to its files but i have no idea where to go. Maybe config.cpp file? But i have no idea what to edit... has anyone any idea what to do? can anyone help me? should i post a screenshot of the files? or should i list them here?

thx anyway

Sound volume is dealt with in the config.There's a few types.In this case it's:

soundEngine[]={"path to soundfile",1,1};

The first number after the path deals with volume.And the second deals with pitch.

Ok so i guess i should change the first value, but i have no idea how much... and what values can i enter...

And the config.cpp is much more complex, there isn't just one "line" where i can find the term "sound", i mean don't i have to change the sound value on every line that deals with sound?

I could find that "soundEngine" line in:

class CfgVehicles

soundEngine[]={"\ICP_t72s\sound\engine.wav",22,1};

but there was also these, which i need to know if i should edit or not:

soundEnviron[]={"\ICP_t72s\sound\treads.wav",0.916666,0.800000};

soundGear[]={"\ICP_t72s\sound\gear.wav",0.1,0.8};

further in this "class CfgVehicles" there was still the sound lines for several tank models:

class ICP_T72B:T72

soundEngine[]={"\ICP_t72s\sound\engine.wav",22,1};

soundEnviron[]={"\ICP_t72s\sound\treads.wav",1.516666,0.800000};

soundGear[]={"\ICP_t72s\sound\gear.wav",0.1,0.8};

and for:

class ICP_T72BIS: T72

class ICP_T72BISERA: T80

and at the end of the config.cpp there was still this:

class CfgSounds

class ICP_T72ASPSound

sound[] = {"\ICP_t72s\sound\asp.ogg",db+200, 1};

so do i have to edit the "class CfgVehicles", and the sound lines for each tank model, and then "class CfgSounds" or i don't need to edit all of them, maybe just the "class CfgSounds"?

plz help

I can't advise you on specific addons or mods.But if you want to change the volume

of any vehicle engine,it's done in the CfgVehicles section.Just increase or decrease

the first value after the path,to your liking.You can input values higher and lower than

1.What the limits are I don't know.But some of those values look fairly high.

As the volume of different samples may vary,I can't tell you exactly what will work.

It's trial and error.

There is no "global" volume control for vehicle sounds.

The titles of the entries have a clue to their functions.

SoundEngine is obvious enough.

SoundEnviron is the sound the vehicle makes while moving.

It's usually used to simulate squeaky wheels,tyres on terrain

or the sound of tank tracks.

SoundGear is the sound played to simulate gear shifts.

Other than editing those entries there's not much else you can do,as far as I know.

then i think its "SoundEnviron" that i want to change, thank you so much.

hi,

As Maczer said, you can play with soundEngine volume but you can also edit the sound itself (wss file) with Audacity and ofp sound lab. It can be a pain to do because you will have to test again and again if he sound is good or not. That's all you can do.

cya.

Nikiller.

First thing I would do is to look at the sound levels of OFP's original tanks and adjust the volume accordingly. soundEngine[]={"\ICP_t72s\sound\engine.wav",22,1}; -- 22 sounds like way too much, and "db+200" in the last code line is way too loud, too - a sound level like that would make your ear drums rupture in real life.

yes i wanted to do that, but i can't find the tanks addons from the original game, except for "bmp2.pbo", i guess i will try with that one, thanks again.

OFPEC.com isn't accessible for me right now, but there is a file called "CommentedConfigs" for download there - it contains everything from the original config.bin file in OFP. The values for the game's T80 are this:

soundEngine[]={Vehicles\ModernIdle1,db-30,1};

soundEnviron[]={Vehicles\ModernRolling_Treads1,db-30,1};