Sign in to follow this  
skyline666

Ordering squads to marker in rts2

Ive been teaching myself how to play the RTS2 scenario before I go online in anger.

The only problem I am having is odering the squads to Marker. I can tell the squads to go to "my position" but I dont seem to be able to send then to a marker/waypoint on the map !

I have read the instructions and I am none the wiser.

Can somebody shed some light on this.

Regards

Sky.

PS .. Give Karrillion a medal !

The squads are independent from your group in that they are created as an autonomous unit that is indirectly under your control.  The soldiers that you train at the barracks are directly under your control, but these squads are not.  You must set a marker at a position and then they are commanded to go there by a script.

Insofar as the Vulcan/Shilka and Soldier squads go, you must physically go to the area that you want them to go to and then use the radio command to set their marker.

For the tank squads, you must first physically go to where you wish them to go, use the radio command, and set the marker.  Then for each Tank squad you create after that you can use the "Move to Marker" radio command instead of the "Set Marker" and that will command all tanks to move to that marker.

When you build your first Barracks, the squad creation marker is placed in front of the barracks about 50 meters out. Check the map to see it after you create your first barracks. It does not change position if you build more barracks. Make sure you don't crowd that area with any other buildings so the squads can move freely. If you wish to place say, Vulcans on 2 sides of your base, a trick to use is this--first create the barracks on one side of the base. Then create a Vulcan squad. Go over to the opposite side of the base and use the Set Vulcan Squad Pos radio command. The newly created Vulcan squad will go over there. Now go back to the barracks and create another Vulcan squad, but don't do the radio command again. Now they will stay where they were created. If you wanted them to move to where the other squad is, then you'd have to go over there again and use the radio command. It can be a pain, but since Vulcans are better kept near the base to protect against air attacks, I decided that this would be ok. The Soldier squad is the same way. I find it handy to place a Vulcan and Soldier squad on 1 side of the base, and then I go create 1 of each for the other side of the base. That way if someone parachutes, then the soldiers might have a better chance of not being spotted right away and picking off the interloper.

Tanks, on the other hand are a primary offensive weapon, and each tank squad has 2 Vulcans or Shilkas with it to keep it somewhat covered from air attacks. This is why I made it so that once you have the Tank Marker position set you can simply order new squads to that marker. That way if you set a marker at the enemy base you dont' have to get back over there every time you die, etc.

I plan to set up a better interface for it sometime after I finish remodeling my bathroom.  My wife (who is Russian) is returning from Russia on the 12th so I need to have it finished by then.   Then hopefully I can get back into more RTS2 editing.

=)

I hope this clears up your confusion.

Thanks Karillion for the prompt reply.

I think you do a great job.

Regards

Sky

It would make sense to keep all rts2 questions to this thread.