blaskowitz

AMD CPU Machines: Are We SOL?

My specs are

-GTX 560

-AMD Phenom II x4 840T Processor 2.90 GHz

-6.00 GB

-64 Bit

-1 terrabyte hardrive

Computer experts are saying to make ARMA 3 playable at mp, I need to buy a motherboard with Intel CPU to run the I5-4670K Processor. So. are ARMA 3 players that have the AMD CPU simply screwed if their multiplayer is laggy as hell?

Alright, I read the original post, and that isn't quite what he meant.

When we talk about games, many do not support many cores. Now, Intel uses CPU's with fewer cores (modern ones use 4, and their high end use 6). On the other hand, AMD CPU's use many cores, although they run at a lower clock speed. This means in Games, such as Arma that do not use many cores, performance will not be as good, as say a 4 Core i5 vs a 4 Core AMD CPU. Now, luckily any modern AMD CPU doesn't have any issues. Your current Phenom is not particularly powerful, so I would suggest upgrading to either side, but a faster processor will reduce your lag. And NO, you do not need to buy a 4670K, or Intel to play Arma 3. AMD's new FX processors are plenty fast, and in some cases, such as rendering, Photoshop, other professional apps, are way better.

The issue is mainly three fold regarding modern cpus

Number of cores available - Both Intel and AMD have between 2, 4, 6(intel), 8 cores... no issues

Clock speeds - Both Intel and AMD cpus are available up to 3.x GHZ and many can be overclocked up to 4-4.5 GHZ range... no issues.

IPC - Instructions per cycle = effeciency... that means in 1 cycle or a given number (n) cycles, how many instructions can be processed... The higher the IPC, the higher the effeciency and hence, the higher the performance if the above two are the same.

Intel beats AMD @ IPC hands down. With 2 cpus with the same number of cores, and same clock speeds, the architecture of the Intel CPU is more efficient and able to do more in the same amount of time.

There was a time when AMD was smoking Intel... with the introduction of their SIMD instruction sets, first to 64 bits, first onboard memory controllers. Then Intel woked up, got rid of that blasphemy of cpu - the Pentium 4 line, produced the i-core series of cpu (basically a super efficient Pentium 3 - same as all AMD cpus really) and has the best manufacturing process to make their cpus the best so far.

If you want to what cpu you need to play ARMA 3 at a desired resolution, go check the will my cpu run ARMA 3 thread. I posted a link to a website that benchmarked a ton of cpus between HIGH and ULTRA settings.

So far, the consensus was a modern i5/i7-3xxx quad core cpu at 4.9 GHZ or better EQUIVALENT WITH a least one Nvidia 690 GPU. That is a really fast and top shelve system by most standards. AMD has nothing that can keep up with that listed intel cpu at that speed, even if Overclocked now. Maybe later?