Sign in to follow this  
recycledsole

What is Arma Like?

Hey guys, I enjoy bf3. saw arma was interesting, but I don't understand all the way. I watched some MP gameplay videos, and it was a group of people playing VS computer? Is that how it usually works? is there are articles detailing how the gameplay is? I saw youre not actually playing against other users?

thanks alot

Hello,

The game is a sandbox. It supports both adversarial and cooperative MP in addition to SP.

Users play developer or user made missions. These can range from simple seek and destroy scenarios to complex multi objective missions.

However some of these missions can be completely violence free , like a race across the island, underwater exploration, heli rides, etc. The in-game editor gives the game a high replay factor.

Whats Arma like? Arma's like dating a sexy alcoholic in which you never know who or what your gonna come home to. Sexy , insatiable beast or prolific **** blocker.

Whats Arma like? Arma's like dating a sexy alcoholic in which you never know who or what your gonna come home to. Sexy , insatiable beast or prolific **** blocker.

Hmm.. too true, on both accounts.

ok thanks. I heard its a lot better with a clan or organized group of people. I think I read its illegal here to ask for clan requests / invites. how does one go about finding a good group to play with?

thanks!

ok thanks. I heard its a lot better with a clan or organized group of people. I think I read its illegal here to ask for clan requests / invites. how does one go about finding a good group to play with?

thanks!

Very much better with clans

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?168-ARMA-3-BETA-SQUADS-AND-FANPAGES

Hey guys, I enjoy bf3. saw arma was interesting, but I don't understand all the way. I watched some MP gameplay videos, and it was a group of people playing VS computer? Is that how it usually works? is there are articles detailing how the gameplay is? I saw youre not actually playing against other users?thanks alot
The closest "mainstream AAA game" analogies I'd draw would be to Battlefield 3 (complain all you want, people, I said "mainstream AAA game") in terms of the theme of military "combined arms" and LittleBigPlanet in terms of the sheer versatility of the Editor... although I would note that instead of it being a "level" editor or a "map" editor it's a "mission" editor, and in the Arma communities sometimes missions refers to both SP/co-op and what would be called 'matches' in other shooter games, for example a MP match might be called a "TvT mission" (team vs. team)... the "what do I do" will very with each mission! Note though that right now there's only one "map" called Stratis island, so mission objectives can be all across the island!

As an example, a broad summation of Domination "mode" would be that it's meant to be potentially-massive multiplayer online co-op: your team is assigned an area (i.e. a town or a military base) to clear out enemies from, you set up your gear and then pile into vehicles at base, you ride on over to where the action is and then you try to fight to take over said areas, and every time you succeed you'll eventually be assigned a new area to take over. Each area will also have a side mission to destroy a radio tower in that area, and doing so will unlock players' access to Personal UAV mode, basically a full-screen "eye in the sky" view of wherever the front line happens to be (usually in the objective area). Note that due to the sheer size of Stratis, you will be taking a vehicle to get to where you need to go.

In contrast, a basic Insurgency "mode" summation might be that there's a certain number of weapons caches hidden on the island, but there's plenty of possible locations where they could be, marked on the map -- so the objective is to go to those areas, take down any enemies and look for and destroy all of the weapons caches by using explosive charges/satchel charges.

thanks!

Games tend to be better with a clan/organized group of people, Arma is no different there -- unfortunately though, without at least an organized group of people (even if not a clan) your chances of having fun are noticeably less,

unfortunately though, without at least an organized group of people (even if not a clan) your chances of having fun are noticeably less,

I would have to disagree with this. I have played Arma for years, and only touched "true" multiplayer a few times during the Arma 3 Alpha. For me, all the fun comes from making missions in the editor (anything from huge Kursk-style tank battles to stealthy assassination missions), then playing against the AI either alone or with a friend or two. Due to my crappy internet connection I can't play multiplayer even if I wanted to anyway.

I would have to disagree with this. I have played Arma for years, and only touched "true" multiplayer a few times during the Arma 3 Alpha. For me, all the fun comes from making missions in the editor (anything from huge Kursk-style tank battles to stealthy assassination missions), then playing against the AI either alone or with a friend or two. Due to my crappy internet connection I can't play multiplayer even if I wanted to anyway.

Yes but he was speaking MP wise.