Sign in to follow this  
Avean

A.I needs a lot of work

We need the original authors to update them. If they have been PM'd and there is no response for a long time PERHAPS someone could look at them. Courtesy dictates our actions.

Very true..

Thanks to the AI, had really awesome time yesterday on dev branch Domination yesterday. The AI was still superaccurate especially on longer distances, but they still felt like real human opponents occasionally. Especially AI APC was a thrilling experience: it started to chase our squad and literally destroyed us (without feeling unrealistic) even though we had AT with us. If I didn't know that it was AI APC, I would have thought that there is a really good player group in it... :)

I said, completely inferior to the ai mix I use in A2, so not necessarily A2 vanilla ai. I don’t use vanilla ai, never have really, I had the luxury of beginning to play the series more often, during Arma, there were mods available that did incredible things to the ai. I found mixing and matching mods or parts from mods made even more of a difference.

Therefore I don’t use vanilla ai, so wouldn’t really know if the ai are better or worse, but as I said, they are completely inferior to the A2 mod mix for the ai, that I use.

Similar to the sight and sound thing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ulk80H-rS4&list=PLj7LIw2iwG-GTnxT0j75IyuIoZO_yi1g1&index=66

Lets be clear I don't make the mods, that is done by talented mod makers, for which I'm grateful, unfortunately they seem to have moved on, reason why I don't think ai in A3 will be as good...

Porting something like GL4 to Arma 3 is conceptually fairly straightforward, largely a correcting class name job. I doubt the functions that are being called have changed. The issue is whether anyone can be bothered. If you have a good Arma 2 set up - in terms of AI mods etc - I am afraid there are too many of the old performance issues hanging around in Arma 3 to make that a job that seems worth the effort. For me, anyway.

I keep shooting them for insubordination all the time... I tell them to shoot, they just lie there and all the enemies target me...

Porting something like GL4 to Arma 3 is conceptually fairly straightforward, largely a correcting class name job. I doubt the functions that are being called have changed. The issue is whether anyone can be bothered. If you have a good Arma 2 set up - in terms of AI mods etc - I am afraid there are too many of the old performance issues hanging around in Arma 3 to make that a job that seems worth the effort. For me, anyway.

Your right, GL4 almost works right out of the box, I’ve got videos on YT showing it at work in A3. Although GL4 is only the tactical side of the mix I use, which obviously is desperately needed for A3. But its not all that I need for a realistic game, by any means.

Its just that the wait for A3 ai to catch upto A2 ai is probably not worth it, when in reality I am preferring A2 for game-play and A3 for messing around in (sightseeing etc). I sort of got A2 right where I want it, ai wise, so would be silly to change over for the sake of looks etc.

I will probably stick with A2 for the foreseeable future and see how things develop with A3, mod/addons will possibly change it in some way, but not the 'AI', I fear, which to me, is all important.

I like A3 for what it is, which is a departure from the series to a certain degree, I can also fully understand why they went that way, business wise. The game looks good, so will be nice to look at new islands etc. But game wise, probably not, if the ai remain pretty much as they are.

As said, things like graphics, lighting, movement change, doors not opening on vehicles etc, etc, don’t bother me. I just want realistic warfare against ai, which is what I have in A2 now, so I’m happy enough with that. A3 won’t have that as much, its not really aimed at that area of gaming, imho.

But more power to their elbow for BIS, can’t complain, they and some very talented mod/addon makers have left me and many others, with a game (A2) we can play for realistic warfare, and still enjoy for many years.

Will be looking at Take On Mars when it gets released, sounds interesting and the sci/fi mod/addon makers will have a ball with it, I would have thought, so maybe that will generate new interest, always liked my sci/fi, although not played any since the original ‘xcom enemy unknown’ years ago. Maybe move over to that later for a change, its as good as a rest you know..

Its all good..;):)