Sign in to follow this  
blazin419

Ghillie suits aren't too noticeable

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but there are significant color differences between the Ghillie suit and the terrain of Stratis.

Whether it's on grass, the ground, or anywhere, the ghillie doesn't really give any sort of advantage. ARMA 2's ghillie did an amazing job hiding you from enemies when you were on grass, but it seems like ARMA 3's ghillie isn't useful regardless of where you are hiding.

I think the ghillie needs some work.

Edit : typo in the title it should be "are" not "aren't"

The problem is, usually ghillie suits are made for the specific environment you're going to be in down to mimicking the most common species of shrub, the problem is with areas like the Mediterranean islands of Altis and Stratis is that there's patches of grass and foliage and forests were the ghillie suit blends in (as it should) and then large, sometimes rocky patches of ground in which is has the opposite effect and causes you to stand out, the same is true with the current multicam uniform the Blue army wears and the brown digital camo the Red army wears and IRL and unlike IRL, the ghillie suit doesn't do a great job at breaking up your outline or shape, the challenge with camouflages in places like Afghanistan were you have long stretches of greenery and then massive borders of desert were bases and OP's are setup and then backed by mountains or in areas like Kunar, mountains which are covered in greenery...

There's only 3 ways to get around the issue and have effective camouflage everywhere, the first is to carry more than one uniform/ghillie suit (or have a suit base which you can quickly change the shroud of camouflage), which IRL isn't very efficent, particularly when you have layers of clothing and body armor and multiple areas to pass through but is practical in Arma due to the instant change time (assuming this isn't changed and you carry a ruck for the clothing), the 2nd is to have a fabric which changes colour on demand (being worked on but not exactly at a practical stage atm, maybe by 2025 ;)) and the 3rd and most practical is to no be seen at all, I.e, invisibility... which probably isn't going to be effective by 2025, as of March this the only object we've managed to hide (with out being noticeable) by bending light was 10 microns wide, or about the size of a single skin cell, that said, i suppose in 12 years time we might have fabrics that could project colour's and a way to sample the colours behind said fabric creating a decent quality active camouflage.

I understand what you mean, but I don't think you understand me correctly.

The problem I'm having with ghillie suits right now is the fact that there is no specific environment in which it camouflages well in. I spent an hour or so with a friend of mine comparing the visibility between the ghillie suit and a standard uniform (we played hide and seek :))and I can tell you right now the ghillie suit is not effective in any specific environment, at least on Stratis. I don't know the topography of Altis, but no terrain fits correctly with the color scheme of the ghillie suit on Stratis.

In ARMA 2, the ghillie suit was extremely effective in hiding prone in the grass or under the pine trees, which was basically 90% of Chernarus. You could literally hide from someone in plain sight if you were prone on the grass and facing the right direction. The ARMA 3 ghillie suit however, stands out as much as a standard uniform regardless of where you're at. It doesn't help to be wearing NV goggles (which I consider essential equipment) as it's colored in desert camo and sticks out like a foot from your face.

Well, I guess the Army just didn't learn from the UCP fiasco ;-)

Yea, you're right. The ghille suits should at least be same colored as the ground texture

I think that everyone can see the sniper in this screenshot at first look

http://gyazo.com/ea6d0e04d6bd711daeee1e9318b7acd8

And also, get rid of the damn balaclava!! Use Facepaint instead

Could be a cool piece of equipment.. having facepaint with you would give you a camouflaged face.

And also, get rid of the damn balaclava!! Use Facepaint instead

Could be a cool piece of equipment.. having facepaint with you would give you a camouflaged face.

Especially in the Mediterranean with the heat and humidity, cam cream tends to block pores and feel like shit but it's still much better than a balaclava, which would be the last thing you would wear on a 25 degree day in the same position for 6 hours...

Tbh Arma2 ghillie was useless. In MP you could spot a sniper miles away since grass was not rendered at distance. Only thing ghillie did was get you teamkilled more often because many players could not see what side you belonged to.

IRL, Ghillie cant work everywere. But i found many place for color dissolve. But still Ghillie do another important work for masking you: he breaks the silhouette, and smooth color recognize. When you hiding from moving units - its always work for me. But i hope, we need to wait Limnos. I believe in modding, someone make huge wardrobe. ^)