Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

Key binding complexity, is that an issue?

Hi,

I was thinking about key bindings and the complexity of parsing them. I think many of us have stumbled over impossible or "not working as expected" combinations.

Example:

I use shift+w for running. Now if (what I wish) BI gave us fluent stance transitions while moving and single key bindings for stance up and stance down. Lets say "u" for "stance up" and "h" for "Stance down".

Now while running I would press shift+w+u. But what will ArmA understand? w AND shift+u? w+u AND SHIFT? w AND shift AND u? SHIFT can be used as a standalone key...

So this seems to be a complicated topic for information scientists ;)

Having said that, I think there are combinations that do not work, like e.g. w+s does.

Or: 2xW works, but 2xX does not (I had the idea to use "x" for crouch and "2xX" for prone.

COMPLICATION, U EAT MY SOUL!

Don't forget that there's multiple presets and now more possible actions -- not all of which are bound to any key or combination thereof -- than before, try out the presets!

I actually thought A3's controls were pretty good. Much better and easier to work with than A2. My friend just played A3 for the first time last week and we only had to rebind a few commands.

I'm very interested in controls actually.

I'm using some different keypads so I've come across a number of impossible combinations, bugs and keys that can't even be bound at all to some commands.

Some issues are also caused by the many invisible auto bindings.

I’ve made a couple of reports relating to control issues and I have quite many unreported:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=9561

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=6755

By the way some easy, intuitive ways to bind stances:

ZXC: "stand", "crouch" and "prone" respectively for direct and intuitive access directly below your movement keys.

Z, Ctrl+Z: "up" and "prone" respectively, tap to toggle standing or crouching and Ctrl+Z to toggle standing or prone all very compact on one key!

I think Ctrl, Alt, Shift or any combination of these + one other button currently works mostly and two letters at once also work. I think that's complex enough.