Sign in to follow this  
Smurf

E3 2013 - General Thoughts

DayZ SA seems to be nice about new building interiors and "loot possibilities" but the combat system and Zombie attacks look bad. Seems that there is still no chance to get a proper melee fight or smoother animations in to battle Zombies and/or players in very close range. What about the gameplay and the primary/secondary task for players - or is it just the simple do-whatever-you-like/shoot-everything-on-sight DM style again?

The zombie animations aren't properly sequenced yet and there isn't a even handler for the end of the animation to trigger the effects.

Many of the animations are placeholders as the rewritten system behind it isn't 100% finished.

I also find the transitions between character animations to be very irritating at this stage!

As for the deathmatch, I don't think that's the aim at all. With all the new survival and crafting elements and even thoughts about making the player having to intentionally raise the weapon to be able to shoot, I think it's quite obvious that this is not the focus. It is however of course absolutely free to the player on how he wants to play.

At this point the standalone alpha is being played, just not publicly so... thing is, it's been said more than once that the client-server architecture change (making it a MMO under the hood) is the objective before a public release, apparently even moreso than "proper melee fight" or "smoother animations".

Incidentally, there is precedence for "have to raise the weapon to shoot" -- in Metal Gear Solid 4. :D But that was because the game had a defined melee system with both strikes and grabs, and you would default to melee when using the attack button (R1) if unarmed or using a CQC-compatible weapon, unless you held L1 to "aim"/raise a ranged weapon, in which case R1 became "fire ranged weapon", while Triangle when aiming would switch between third-person-over-the-shoulder view and first-person usually-aim-through-sights views.

Edited by Chortles