Sign in to follow this  
killzone_kid

Console extension for server monitoring

So I made this little extension, which really is a single dll. I think the best use for it would be for server monitoring (though it has debug uses too), hence this forum.

http://killzonekid.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/debug_console.jpg (116 kB)

And it even has a beep :)

More info and download is here: http://killzonekid.com/arma-console-extension-debug_console-dll/

V2: http://killzonekid.com/arma-console-extension-debug_console-dll-v2-0/

Edited by Dwarden

nice one - thanks for sharing :bounce3:

can you give some example you would use it for, like with dayz

... really nice work, thanks for sharing :rolleyes:

Thanks! I have added some notes on performance and the use of preprocessor

;2410271']nice one - thanks for sharing :bounce3:

can you give some example you would use it for' date=' like with dayz[/quote']

Not really sure what to tell, it is straight forward. Add it anywhere you want to monitor whatever :)

... really nice work, thanks for sharing :rolleyes:

Thanks fred, getting there.

I mean if you can think of practical/specific examples, like show server fps, number of players, AI, or to debug something on a constant basis.

Aside from those for debugging I find ingame display or the log file more convenient.

However I'd like to learn other uses/what benefits it has as I could be very useful for the development of my next game mode.

I just cannot think of things so far I would use it for yet.

---

While not directly related, could you please comment some thoughts/questions on your performance section.

1) Did you measure by chance constant string ("var") vs string construction (str _i) vs string concat ("pass " + "#1111") vs combo or those ("pass " + str _i + "#1111")?

2) I tend to use mainly call (instead of spawn) to ensure synchronized/linear execution - would you recommend to use call only when absolutely necessary based on your performance finds? Or are these not necessarily related as you were testing with callExtension/game thread?

3) Any other practical thoughts you have on call vs spawn use?

Cheers!

;2410906']I mean if you can think of practical/specific examples' date=' like show server fps, number of players, AI, or to debug something on a constant basis.

Aside from those for debugging I find ingame display or the log file more convenient.

However I'd like to learn other uses/what benefits it has as I could be very useful for the development of my next game mode.

I just cannot think of things so far I would use it for yet.

---

While not directly related, could you please comment some thoughts/questions on your performance section.

1) Did you measure by chance constant string ("var") vs string construction (str _i) vs string concat ("pass " + "#1111") vs combo or those ("pass " + str _i + "#1111")?

2) I tend to use mainly call (instead of spawn) to ensure synchronized/linear execution - would you recommend to use call only when absolutely necessary based on your performance finds? Or are these not necessarily related as you were testing with callExtension/game thread?

3) Any other practical thoughts you have on call vs spawn use?

Cheers![/quote']

Basically anything you would dump in .rpt but don't want to spend time to look for it there you can dump in this console. The benefits is that if you use onscreen ingame hint, you cannot just hint hint hint and have 3 hints displayed, will be only the last one. side chat might work but if you monitor it on the server you have to additionally create some sort of logic. My approach is simple enough, but each to their own I guess.

Performance wise, as I mentioned on the blog if you spawn the call then it will not slow your current thread from which you want to output something. if you call without spawn and often you might have a slight delay depending again on what you're doing. As for other related performance issues with strings, I found out format is relatively fast and if you have more than 2 values to add dynamically to the string, format is the way to go. Spawn vs call? It is a whole topic in itself.

Example of the monitor uses? How does one use diag_log? LOL :) Same thing only with colour and sound.

Look I am simply interested in systematic uses/ideas of output to console.

So far the only benefit I can see is regular output in realtime on another display,

whereas in a log file I have filtering, search, regex, persistence, highlighting, etc.

In terms of string concat see: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=9316