Sign in to follow this  
DaRkL3AD3R

Dynamically adjusting graphics settings while game is running?

I've read a few people's posts in the Alpha section speaking of their texture setting randomly dropping while they play even though the setting still shows what they set it to. Well I can confirm I was experiencing the same thing on my old Radeon 5870 2GB card, and my VRAM usage would max around 1.7GB.

Now on my GTX 780 3GB card, with the SAME graphics settings, I'm finding my GPU memory hovering around 2-2.1GB. So what's going on? Is the game really trying to use more and more VRAM and it has to dynamically drop settings without showing us? This is frustrating because I feel like now even with my new card I can't be certain the game isn't dropping my graphics settings without me knowing.

I havent experienced anything like this, but keep in mind Nvidia and AMD has not done any kind of driver optimization for Arma III yet.

If you look at the latest Nvidia Beta Drivers, you will find it has increased performance in games like Tomb Raider and Metro by up to 30-40%, during the last 2-4 Beta Drivers.

Once they start optimizing drivers for this game, we will see a major improvement, i have no doubt.

But who knows, there might be a memory leak in the current build, causing FPS and Graphics drops the longer you play, i dont know :)

I havent experienced anything like this, but keep in mind Nvidia and AMD has not done any kind of driver optimization for Arma III yet.

If you look at the latest Nvidia Beta Drivers, you will find it has increased performance in games like Tomb Raider and Metro by up to 30-40%, during the last 2-4 Beta Drivers.

Once they start optimizing drivers for this game, we will see a major improvement, i have no doubt.

But who knows, there might be a memory leak in the current build, causing FPS and Graphics drops the longer you play, i dont know :)

Perhaps, but I think it's unanimously understood that the major performance problem with Arma is always CPU bottlenecks :( my GTX 780 gets hit hard, and that's by a 3770k at 4.6Ghz.... not too optimistic about drivers increasing performance in this one :(

Hopefully this bug though gets resolved, I just don't like the game changing my settings on me and not telling me. You can tell the difference by looking at weapons textures in first person. The difference is pretty dramatic.

I've read a few people's posts in the Alpha section speaking of their texture setting randomly dropping while they play even though the setting still shows what they set it to. [snip]

The same error has been discussed here: ArmA3 Alpha Video Setting Auto Downgrade!

I believe that you can prevent this issue by creating a Application Profile for ArmA3.

If there is a application profile in the Nvidia Control panel for ArmA3, the driver will override the specific program settings.

Application Profiles

Application profiles, part of the NVIDIA® graphics driver, allow you to quickly create custom image quality and performance profiles for all of your games and applications. For instance, you may wish to run the latest car racing game at the highest levels of image quality for antialiasing and anisotropic filtering. Or you may to run your favorite action game at the highest speed possible. You can even set global settings for all of your applications.

With NVIDIA’s graphics profiles you can easily manage all of your games and applications. Once you have set up a profile, it will automatically change the settings when you launch the application for that profile.

Picture: Nvidia Control panel

This picture gives you an idea how to create a own profile for ArmA3. This is not only for the SLI mode.

1.) When you say you had have a ATI graphics adapter, using now a Nvidia and both was dimmed down, gives me the suspicion that your central processor unit starts to overheat.

2.) Probably related to overclocking. Try to reproduce this error without overclocking.

3.) Could also be a single peak or a wrong measurement of high temperatures and the system is regulated down.

4.) You may check the thermal paste and the cooling.

5.) Wrong windows settings, for example in the Power Options or a necessary change in the BIOS of the computer.

Edit: Quote for the lulz ;)

CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz 1.24v CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 Push/Pull GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Mobo: ASRock z77 Extreme4 RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz PSU: BFG Tech EX-1200W Case: Coolermaster HAF X O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
Edited by Mirudes

The same error has been discussed here: ArmA3 Alpha Video Setting Auto Downgrade!

I believe that you can prevent this issue by creating a Application Profile for ArmA3.

If there is a application profile in the Nvidia Control panel for ArmA3, the driver will override the specific program settings.

Picture: Nvidia Control panel

This picture gives you an idea how to create a own profile for ArmA3. This is not only for the SLI mode.

1.) When you say you had have a ATI graphics adapter, using now a Nvidia and both was dimmed down, gives me the suspicion that your central processor unit starts to overheat.

2.) Probably related to overclocking. Try to reproduce this error without overclocking.

3.) Could also be a single peak or a wrong measurement of high temperatures and the system is regulated down.

4.) You may check the thermal paste and the cooling.

5.) Wrong windows settings, for example in the Power Options or a necessary change in the BIOS of the computer.

Edit: Quote for the lulz ;)

Thanks for the reply and suggestions but none of them really apply to me. I don't have SLI, and none of my components are overheating. My overclock is perfectly stable and all is well with my hardware. I believe the real problem is that Arma 3 currently has a GPU memory leak and the RAM keeps filling up and up and up until you reach your cards capacity and the only option left is for the game to manually downrank your Texture setting without you knowing.

Also why did you quote my signature? lol

Hmm not terrain but textures. Odd. Dev or Stable branch? The rest of your settings? You use any Overlay progs?

Edited by kklownboy

I have the same problem, and it still exist in the 1.02 version.