Sign in to follow this  
dogjones

[SP] Agiagrad

Here's the first mission I made worth sharing. There's probably a couple of bugs, and I still want to add a few features, so its a WIP.

The basic premiss is that both EAST and WEST have decided they will take the small town of Agria at any cost, resulting in some old school, block-to-block, house-to-house fighting.

klwW3bh.png

EAST forces, having taken the bridge, are beginning an attack on WEST controlled zones. Two WEST squads have have taken defensive positions.

Features:

- Control zone system.

- AI fights in buildings: taking defensive positions, shooting from windows, and trying to clear enemy held buildings.

- AI high commander coordinates squads, aggressively tries to take the city, or holding ground against enemy attacks depending upon the strategic situation. The commander will try and launch attacks through areas of least resistance, resulting in flanking and encircling behavior.

- Groups are assigned Metal Gear Solid style call signs. That's cool!!

- Night operations are supported by star shells, called down by the AI commander.

- Maximize profits for the corporate oligarchs who have televised the battle.

Lemme know if you find any bugs, or have concerns about balance, or just have any feedback in general.

Download from mediafire:

- http://www.mediafire.com/?alvidkrgxkyv8gy

Armaholic mirror:

- Agiagrad [ALPHA]

Edited by dogjones

Hey dogjones... thanks - cool idea and fun to play. I did see one script error when I first died and respawned

1l4OI1H.jpg

For about ten minutes the AI stood around doing nothing much - maybe because I wasn't going after the correct capture point?

Towards the end it got a bit errr... well see the spoiler:

These are all prone enemy - reminded me of Battlefield 1942 for a moment! :) The only way to get near them was with grenades and grenadiers.

AI0XaQH.jpg

Anyway, thanks for the mission :)

Hey dogjones... thanks - cool idea and fun to play. I did see one script error when I first died and respawned

http://i.imgur.com/1l4OI1H.jpg

For about ten minutes the AI stood around doing nothing much - maybe because I wasn't going after the correct capture point?

Towards the end it got a bit errr... well see the spoiler:

These are all prone enemy - reminded me of Battlefield 1942 for a moment! :) The only way to get near them was with grenades and grenadiers.

http://i.imgur.com/AI0XaQH.jpg

Anyway, thanks for the mission :)

Thanks for playing, and bringing these issues to me attention.

I am pretty confused about the error you received. I don't call fn_respawnNone anywhere in my scripts (not directly, anyway), and I am having a lot of trouble finding any information about this function. Perhaps it was a problem with the Alpha?

If the AI stopped acting after you received this error, it might be because the script which orders them around stopped executing after it encountered that error. However, if the AI started acting again after 10 minutes, this probably wasn't the case. During my play testing, a few battles stagnated because both sides continually built up forces for awhile, and were unwilling to commit to an attack. To some extent, I am okay with this behavior. But preferably, the action should remain fluid, so hopefully this will occur less and less as I balance the mission.

The reason the AI dropped the ball at the end of the mission is because both sides will keep getting reinforcements, even when backed into their spawn. The AI commander ordered those groups to take defensive positions at a random position in the control zone, resulting in them just laying there in diamond formation. The next thing I'll work on is fixing the end game, so that stupid behavior doesn't happen.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help!!

Perhaps it was a problem with the Alpha?

Yeah I did think this after hitting send - I'm running the errr... alpha alpha branch? alpha dev branch? alpha beta branch? Yeah you know what I mean :)

The AI commander ordered those groups to take defensive positions at a random position in the control zone, resulting in them just laying there in diamond formation.

Yeah figured as much!

Really enjoyed this mission. Great for practising.

Its better in the day time though