Sign in to follow this  
Juicymarmalade

Can't run above 20 fps on new rig

So I just got Arma 3 yesterday on my new rig and for some reason I average at 20 fps with the occasional annoying lag spike despite the fact that my PC passes the recommended settings. I was playing on one of those open world survival servers so maybe that has something to do with it but I dunno. Here are my specs:

GPU: AMD Radeon HD7850

CPU: AMD FX-8150

CPU speed: 3.6ghz

RAM: 16gb

Can someone please help?

Would help to know what video settings you are using, first off.

Second, it's likely you are going to have to wait for post-Alpha optimization. The game doesn't really run that well on most systems right now.

Hi and Welcome to Arma Juicymarmalade!

Try playing a mission or two offline or have a play about in the editor. You will get far better performance and it will be a much better setting for testing your rig and graphics settings (you will most likely be able to max everything except view distance).

If you want to play online, be prepared to spend a while looking around for playable servers. This is what was causing your initial experience of 20fps. If the server you join is not using powerful enough hardware for the mission they are running, or the amount of people they allow on to the server, the server will run badly and at low FPS. As a result all the Clients on the server will also get bad performance and Low fps, regardless of what kind of powerful monster of a PC they have. Basically, your online performance is dictated by the servers performance.

in multiplayer a lot of settings are set serverside, so it's hard to compare performance.

anyway, the arma series is a notorious cpu hog and performance doesn't scale that well to many cores, so it doesn't really like the fx8150. with the cpu intensive settings turned down it should be decently playable.

Hi and Welcome to Arma Juicymarmalade!

Try playing a mission or two offline or have a play about in the editor. You will get far better performance and it will be a much better setting for testing your rig and graphics settings (you will most likely be able to max everything except view distance).

SPOT ON !!!

There are too many variables and not enough refined coding out there for Multiplayer to accurately say "My Rig is performing poorly because ..."

Client missions only and go through the Video settings, refining your PC to get your "acceptable" framerate. Again, this is Alpha, and it will improve over time,

however, doing this gives you a baseline on how your PC can run the game standalone without taking multiplayer variables into account.

Once that's done ... you can at least say, when joining a multiplayer server, that you then need to look at Bandwidth / Scripting / Bad coding / Missions and players on the server as being the reason that your PC is being dragged down (again .. this will improve with time).

In short my default fps when 1st firing up the game was about 25 fps with major stutters. After refining my video settings I was up to 35-40.

Several releases later, without changing anything I noted it increased again, with improvements to the game ... even finding I could slowly turn some

graphic settings up further.

It also became quickly apparent which servers were overloaded or not capable yet of running multiplayer, as when I joined some servers my fps would drop

to 15 or 20 ... although now I knew, it was not my PC.

CHIN UP ! TWEEK THOSE SETTINGS ! :-) you have some nice specs in that rig :-)