Sign in to follow this  
fysis

Where's the noob section?

Thanks.

I played online for the first time tonight, i did get used to the scoping a bit. I still think it would be easier if RMB did one and CTRL+RMB did the other, but meh.

What i discovered was that i was completely and totally lost. I don't know what squad i'm in (is there a way to find out after you've joined?). I gather it's only when you select your role that you can see what squad you're in. I was running around trying to find my squad, or anyone in a group so i didn't get smashed by the AI. I killed two, died at least six times.

So apart from not understanding who or where my squad is and not really understanding the comms yet i slowly got used to the different stances and whatnot. But i have to go third person to tell what stance i'm in, which is a bit annoying. A small, temporary graphic would be nice.

I love the island. But my vision always seems blurry, not crisp. Is that because i'm not wearing sunnies and there is glare or something? Or is it just the way it is?

Overall, it was ok for my first outing. If i can figure out how to 'squad up', take orders, heal people or whatever, i think i'll enjoy it.

As for the blurry vision part:

- check your video settings and try to turn post processing effects off

- Also check if your resolution (Tab "Basic") matches your rendering resolution (Tab "Rendering") - it has to be the same.

Another noob to Arma, hi all.

Just downloaded it yesterday. Am quite impressed and like the concept: no need to do another run'n gun FPS, there's plenty already.

Being the total newbie i am i will spend some time in the sand box to get familiar with controls, equipment, do some hiking, tan on the beach... it surely is a nice place if you don't mind the post-apocalypse look of the town.

Have played a lot of Red Orchestra / Darkest Hour exactly because they were more realistic (well, to some extent).

Have a I7 - 870, 16GB RAM , GTX 560Ti, SSD drive. Arma 3 runs smooth at 'high' settings @1080p in editor, no AI. Still have to do a benchmark.. must yet search if there's a thread for configuration - fps report.

What am a bit puzzled about is the inability to keep hands steady for any significant amount of time when aiming. Probably am using hold-breath wrong but after a very short while (few seconds) the aim starts to wave around. Also when shooting with handgun it looks like the left hand is limp and doesn't do much to support. Maybe there's some more commands am unaware of? Must read more.

I just read also the Arma 2 trick of shift+space to rest your gun on a wall, window frame etc. I hope it's there in Arma 3 too.

Oh and climbing obstacles / jumping.... none? Have no intention to bunny hop but I went amidst some rocks and it took some effort to get out of them. Also overcoming a small fence not taller than my hip proved to be a challenge. No climbing? I did manage to climb ladders of course.

Must practice, will take me some time before am good enough to get in MP and get shot.

Well, it's all for now, see you!

Edited by ddrake

Another noob to Arma, hi all.

Just downloaded it yesterday. Am quite impressed and like the concept: no need to do another run'n gun FPS, there's plenty already.

Being the total newbie i am i will spend some time in the sand box to get familiar with controls, equipment, do some hiking, tan on the beach... it surely is a nice place if you don't mind the post-apocalypse look of the town.

Have played a lot of Red Orchestra / Darkest Hour exactly because they were more realistic (well, to some extent).

Have a I7 - 870, 16GB RAM , GTX 560Ti, SSD drive. Arma 3 runs smooth at 'high' settings @1080p in editor, no AI. Still have to do a benchmark.. must yet search if there's a thread for configuration - fps report.

What am a bit puzzled about is the inability to keep hands steady for any significant amount of time when aiming. Probably am using hold-breath wrong but after a very short while (few seconds) the aim starts to wave around. Also when shooting with handgun it looks like the left hand is limp and doesn't do much to support. Maybe there's some more commands am unaware of? Must read more.

I just read also the Arma 2 trick of shift+space to rest your gun on a wall, window frame etc. I hope it's there in Arma 3 too.

Oh and climbing obstacles / jumping.... none? Have no intention to bunny hop but I went amidst some rocks and it took some effort to get out of them. Also overcoming a small fence not taller than my hip proved to be a challenge. No climbing? I did manage to climb ladders of course.

Must practice, will take me some time before am good enough to get in MP and get shot.

Well you have discovered the art of holding your breath for too long, you can only hold it for about 4 seconds until you run out of breath. (Something like that.) When you run out of breath you will be even more shaky then normal for a while but it will go back to normal. Just hold your breath and get ready to shoot, immediately. There are probably a lot more commands you do not know but not for holding your breath.

Currently there is no climbing obstacles, not sure about jumping but jumping isn't really needed, you can vault over obstacles or step over them. Can't wait to see you on MP. Hope this helps.

Hi and welcome

You can press 'v' to 'step over' low walls and fences

What Lucable said; basically hold-RMB is the default keybind for both "zoom" (or rather "focus") and "hold breath"; some people prefer to change hold breath to a different keybind, but if you'd prefer not to, then what I tend to do is basically use 'hold breath' essentially right before my shot, to minimize how long the character is holding his breath for (and risking the "massive sway").
Unfortunately the Shift+Space "trick" is actually from a mod called ACE, not native to Arma; no ETA for when it'd be in Arma 3. :( Although someone put together a script for resting the weapon...

Thank you guys!

I watched some videos, read some more, getting the basics. Still a very poor shooter... it's easier in real! ^.^

Have you fired a real rifle before? I think the amount of 'shake' is pretty realistic. But then while i've fired a Steyr many times i was never particularly any good and i didn't fire it a lot. Just enough to pass tests :)

I suppose therein lies the problem, even "realistic" is subjective. :D

As said, what a bunch of people have done is put hold breath on a separate keybind than zoom, and you can try out the VTS weapon resting script.

I am using a RAT 7 mouse, it has built in 5 programmable buttons.

to me crouch, prone,reload, switch scope, run has been set the mouse.

in this case I have 5 less keys to use on the keyboard.