Sign in to follow this  
tonnie

Uniform Models ( model not retex )

Hey guys,

Just wanting to know a couple on things relating to importing new uniform models into game.

1: are shirts and pants seperate models or one whole model.

2: As I'm new with importing what config setup am I going to need.

Any help or links would be great

Thanks in advance

Tonnie

Alright, you are in for excellent luck, as there are brilliant tutorials regarding this.

To answer your questions:

1. No, the Pants, Arms, Shirt, Boots/Feet are a single model.

2. As for this one, there are plenty of tutorials on importing and rigging a model.

Here is a rigging tutorial:

Here is Mondkabls excellent tutorial on making characters complete with a config. Using this you should learn quite I bit I would assume.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148650-Old-stlye-US-Army-BDU

Alright, you are in for excellent luck, as there are brilliant tutorials regarding this.

To answer your questions:

1. No, the Pants, Arms, Shirt, Boots/Feet are a single model.

2. As for this one, there are plenty of tutorials on importing and rigging a model.

Here is a rigging tutorial:

Here is Mondkabls excellent tutorial on making characters complete with a config. Using this you should learn quite I bit I would assume.

Thank you mate, ill look into those :)

Hey sorry for barging on the thread and reviving it,

But I am also trying to model new uniforms, so I thought I might as well keep it in this thread.

I looked at the ArmA 3 character example models, and it seems they are all naked, so I was wondering,

Is the uniform model separate from the body model itself? Or does the model switch to a new model including the body and uniform once you wear something?

Are their any character model example with uniforms on? Or alternatively, any uniform model examples?

Thank you

Post 2 in this section answers it for you: Uniforms are not separate models. The model is changed when you choose an uniform. There aren't any unforms examples, but you only need the naked t-pose body to create your own on top of it.

Post 2 in this section answers it for you: Uniforms are not separate models. The model is changed when you choose an uniform. There aren't any unforms examples, but you only need the naked t-pose body to create your own on top of it.

OK, thanks

I was not sure if he meant the boots gloves pants shirt are one model separate from the body

or it's all combined into one model including the body.

Mondkalb provided an MLOD example of a unit configured for Arma 3 that has a uniform of sorts modelled around the 'naked' A3 example model:

As Pufu said, uniforms are basically entire character models, including any bare hands and feet that you would want the character to have while wearing the uniform. The heads are separate models that are loaded on to a defined 'proxy' position as are additional wearable items like backpacks, headgear and vests (you can see these proxies as the big triangular planes placed at various positions in the A3 example model).

With the 'naked' A3 model, you would model your uniform around the human form provided; using it as a reference for the scale and position of the clothed legs, torso, arms etc. that you want to model to make the uniform. Then you'd delete all the parts of the original 'naked' model that you don't need (underwear, parts of begs+feet covered by trousers+boots, parts of arms covered by sleeves etc.) and only keep the bits you need (e.g bare hands if you're not giving your units gloves) and merge those into the clothing you've modelled to replace the 'naked' form.

Comparing Arma 1 and 2 sample models to the naked Arma 3 model can provide a very rough example of how clothing on a character model is there in place of the parts of the underwear etc. since they all use the same basic physical structure. Main difference being that vests, heads rucksacks etc. were permanently modelled on the uniforms in previous games, and bits like arms, hands feet etc. have been replaced over time with better versions that you can cut out of the Arma 3 example.

Mondkalb provided an MLOD example of a unit configured for Arma 3 that has a uniform of sorts modelled around the 'naked' A3 example model:

As Pufu said, uniforms are basically entire character models, including any bare hands and feet that you would want the character to have while wearing the uniform. The heads are separate models that are loaded on to a defined 'proxy' position as are additional wearable items like backpacks, headgear and vests (you can see these proxies as the big triangular planes placed at various positions in the A3 example model).

With the 'naked' A3 model, you would model your uniform around the human form provided; using it as a reference for the scale and position of the clothed legs, torso, arms etc. that you want to model to make the uniform. Then you'd delete all the parts of the original 'naked' model that you don't need (underwear, parts of begs+feet covered by trousers+boots, parts of arms covered by sleeves etc.) and only keep the bits you need (e.g bare hands if you're not giving your units gloves) and merge those into the clothing you've modelled to replace the 'naked' form.

Comparing Arma 1 and 2 sample models to the naked Arma 3 model can provide a very rough example of how clothing on a character model is there in place of the parts of the underwear etc. since they all use the same basic physical structure. Main difference being that vests, heads rucksacks etc. were permanently modelled on the uniforms in previous games, and bits like arms, hands feet etc. have been replaced over time with better versions that you can cut out of the Arma 3 example.

Thanks (again) da12thMonkey, now it's totally clear.