Sign in to follow this  
Konyak-2

Targeting in mp

I was amazed when this didn't turn up in my search, so I'm going to have to ask about this. Is there a special way to make a fellow player who is a gunner in your heli, be able to lock on to targets so that the Hellfires actually home in on their target??

I just can't believe that this is not yet possible, after all the patches and claims that OFP is now a decent MP game.

Please tell me it's possible as I see no reason why it shouldn't be so.

Thanks,

Konyak

I haven't tried it in v.1.46

But in the earlier version it did not work.

The gunner needed to find it's own targets.

haven't seen the "bugg-fix" for this in the readme.txt for v1.46

So I guess that it is still there.

Which led the pilot to switch to "manual fire", and by doing this, renderd the gunner obsolete.

The same "behaviour" was(is) present in

tanks and APC's

(all vehicles that can fire)

Right now there are several problems with gunners in MP:

Sometimes the gun moves up or down in tanks without moving the mouse. Happens mostly when there are more players present in the vehicle. I remember this bug being reported a while ago.

The target lock is not shared between commander/pilot and gunner. Both crew members should be able to operate on the same lock, not two independent versions of it.

The commander/pilot of a vehicle is credited for the kills the gunner made. Makes no sense as it is gunners skills that matters most, esp. when attacking targets from a moving tank.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The commander/pilot of a vehicle is credited for the kills the gunner made. Makes no sense as it is gunners skills that matters most, esp. when attacking targets from a moving tank. <span id='postcolor'>

The Commander of the tank gets the kill. But you're the one who killed him, so does it matter the score? People usually give credit where credit is due.

And as far as choppers, I belive when the gunner kills someone, it only reads as the pilot getting the kill, but the score goes to the gunner.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ID7 @ Feb. 03 2003,18:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The target lock is not shared between commander/pilot and gunner. Both crew members should be able to operate on the same lock, not two independent versions of it.<span id='postcolor'>

So you mean that if I(as a Tank commander) targets an enemy, my gunner(human) get's this nice yellow square around the target which I have "pointed" out?

But this does not happen in a helicopter?

e.g

Me(pilot) targets shilka, Gunner(human) does not get the yellow targetsquare?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Feb. 04 2003,00:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Commander of the tank gets the kill. But you're the one who killed him, so does it matter the score? People usually give credit where credit is due.<span id='postcolor'>

OK, so why not remove the scoring system completely? Do you also like to be credited for the team kills your gunner made?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

And as far as choppers, I belive when the gunner kills someone, it only reads as the pilot getting the kill, but the score goes to the gunner.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, truly strange. Tank commanders get the score whereas pilots don't.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The_Taurus @ Feb. 04 2003,13:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

So you mean that if I(as a Tank commander) targets an enemy, my gunner(human) get's this nice yellow square around the target which I have "pointed" out?

But this does not happen in a helicopter?

e.g

Me(pilot) targets shilka, Gunner(human) does not get the yellow targetsquare?<span id='postcolor'>

I am talking about the electronic lock provided by the vehicle, not the yellow box.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ID7 @ Feb. 04 2003,16:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am talking about the electronic lock provided by the vehicle, not the yellow box.<span id='postcolor'>

wonderfull, so it is not fixed sad.gif

What does it matter if the commander has spotted a potential threat and the gunner locks on to another target but in another direction.

And doing this whilst crusing around in the T80, the commanders view is occupied with two external fueltanks...

Why dont you hop in O2 and remove them? They aren't that bad, think if you were actually in one of those death traps when the tanks got hit.

simple answer to this thread:

server running in cadet mode: AA lock-ons, TOW lock-on´s...

server in veteran mode: no lock-ons at all.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Feb. 05 2003,11:0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">simple answer to this thread:

server running in cadet mode: AA lock-ons, TOW lock-on´s...

server in veteran mode: no lock-ons at all.<span id='postcolor'>

I am not sure you get the point of this thread. Most combat choppers and planes in RL can track a target in the form of radar, optical, or position lock. That lock is not a cadet thingy as you seem to think. You certainly can lock the TOW in Cobra in all modes. I wonder how you use the Stinger/Strela in vet mode if you think it has no lock?